algae help for newbie

Hi,

I went out of town for 4 days and left the pump running but came home to light green cloudy water. I am guessing I will need to SLAM my pool to get back to clear. What levels should I test for prior to adding bleach for the SLAM process? This will be my first attempt at SLAM so any expertise would be welcome.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

pH is important before starting, then just focus on FC and occasionally CC so you know what's occurring. MMMaintain FC to keep it as short as it can be. Brushing also speeds it up.

I began the SLAM process on Saturday and have kept the FC between 10-12 as best I can. I maintained it every 2 hours on Sunday and have tested and added bleach each morning and evening on Mon through Wed(today). My CYA is holding about 30. The pea green color has not changed in my opinion and the overnight drop in FC has been from 12 down to 5 the past 2 nights. I will continue on but are there any tips to the SLAM process that I am missing?

Thanks

MMMaintain is absolutely the number one way to speed up a SLAM. Try morning, after work, before bed, or even go home at lunch if that's an option, or leave a pre-determined amount for someone else to add mid-day.

Pump on 24/7
Brush as often as possible
Seek out hidey places where algae farms might be
If it's too much hassle compared to water cost, consider draining and refilling

Finding all the algae spots is the tricky part. If I miss an algae farm will it eventually succumb to the shock level FC or is brushing every spot imperative?

That's a funny way of putting it. So here is my funny answer......if you miss one algae farm in a corner today with the brush, eventually you will be able to see what you missed. Don't ask me how I know.

The key is to keep your chlorine at shock level for your CYA checking as often as possible. Brush as often as possible too as algae hates that.

Well after no visible improvement since Saturday and heavy rain since Saturday and forecast for more rain over the next week, I decided to drain the pool and start over. I just wasn't able to get ahead of the algae as far as I could tell.

Are there any tips on what I should do prior to refilling? I plan to scrub the vinyl perhaps with a light bleach solution and then rinse.

Thanks for the help to this point.

Sorry to hear that, but I think it's a good plan. Also a good plan to wipe it down with weak bleach and rinse. When you start up with stabilizer and FC and stay above minimum, it will stay clear for the rest of the summer. You can do your first fill at shock level FC as extra insurance. The water will be cold for swimming, so you can even go a tad higher if you like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.