Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Better way to get CYA into the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Better way to get CYA into the pool

I've been using the socks full of granular CYA in the skimmers, and squeezing the bags periodically, but it takes a couple of weeks to get enough of the stuff dissolved. Short of hanging more socks in the pool, are there other ways to get this CYA in the water? Thanks.
    Eric
    32K gal rectangular pebble sheen IG salt pool, 1200 gal pebble sheen IG salt spa
    Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy AquaPure 700 SWG
    Sta-Rite 2HP pump, Sta-Rite 1HP pump
    Triton II sand filters on both, Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU nat gas heater
    CAT 1000 pH controllers w/ Stenner acid pumps on both, Levolor auto-fillers on both

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Better way to get CYA into the pool

I used knee highs last time and it was faster. Depends on the brand of CYA though, some dissolves noticeably more slowly. Squeezing often makes it dissolve faster.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been using cotton tube socks. What about heating some water, dissolving the granules, and then pouring the solution into the pool?
    32K gal rectangular pebble sheen IG salt pool, 1200 gal pebble sheen IG salt spa
    CAT 1000 pH controllers w/ Stenner acid pumps on both, Levolor auto-fillers on both

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, some folks have done that. I've used tube socks in the past.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Use a nylon instead of a sock, allows for more water flow in and through the CYA. Cotton socks are often too thick. The point of the "sock" is to keep the CYA in one place while it slowly dissolves, not to impede the dissolution.

Hang the sock in front of a return in the larger pool volume, it works better that way. I use a 3/4" PVC pipe to tie the sock to and some decorative rocks on the other end to secure it in place.

Finally hot water dissolution can work but it doesn't really change the solubility a whole lot. If you're really need CYA fast, then use liquid CYA. It's more expensive but you'll get faster results with it.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I tried using nylon knee-highs, and hanging them in front of the returns instead of in the skimmer pots. Much better! Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

You can find gallons of liquid CYA at Leslie's, but it costs about double the price of granular. It is a very thick liquid but it gives you almost instant rise in your test results.

I gallon of instant conditioner will raise a 10,000 gallon pool's CYA value aprox 32ppm for $36
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

I hadn't really given it much thought and this won't help much but the CYA I have must be finely ground, 500g in 2L (sorry about the metric) mixes to a milky constancy with no lumps which I just poor into the skimmer, as long as I don't back wash I assume it will slowly dissolve in about a week.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

9. Back To Top    #9

Actually, we should be sorry for not using metric since nearly the entire planet uses metric except us. We are very slow!

TFP does not recommend pouring CYA in the skimmer for a number of reasons. Stuck in filter, slow to dissolve in filter, we've had a few folks whose skimmer line was completely clogged with CYA, backwashed from filter. More here on adding chems to pools, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Better way to get CYA into the pool

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Actually, we should be sorry for not using metric since nearly the entire planet uses metric except us. We are very slow!
    I will never apologize for my English/Imperial units!! You can have my 1/32nds fractional units when you pry them from my cold dead hands

I'm petitioning the NHTSA right now to convert all speed signs into furlongs-per-fortnight...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates