Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Hattiesburg MS

SWG issue

i just bought the TF-100 and i'm still learning to use this. however according to it my chlorine is very low. i have plenty of salt, and my SWG does not seem to be generating any chlorine. I have the Breeze SWG.

also how do i test for salt content? before i got the kit i did go to the pool store and they tested my salt content and said it was good.
    35k gallon salt water vinyl pool
    hayward super pump
    hayward high rate sand filter
    breeze chlorine generator

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: SWG issue

Testing salt: this is the one thing that test strips are usually OK for. They'll read at about +/- 400 ppm salt. Or you can order a Taylor K-1766 which most of us prefer for easier reading and accuracy about +/- 200 ppm. It will last for several years, because there's no reason to test very often.

Get your FC to the desired level with plain unscented (not splashless) 8.25% bleach. Then see if your SWG can maintain it. SWG is a slow, steady way to chlorinate, but not good at raising the level.

If that doesn't work, your chlorinator may need cleaning or cell replacement, but try the other things first. I don't know your model. Does it have any warning lights such as "low salt" or "clean cell"?
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766 Salt, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Pentair Rebel pool cleaner; FlowViz flow meter; prior pool AG 10k - Be Safe - FC / CYA Chart - Become a TFP Supporter - Read Before Posting

3. Back To Top    #3

Medicine Hat, Alberta

Salt should be close if you went by gallons/pounds

What is your CYA level? Should be about 70 - 80 ppm as per pool school. If low adjust up slowly.

SWG's are wunnerful machines but need the buffer to FC that CYA gives, they can produce a gallon of 12% bleach or more per day, just not all at once so the CYA stores it for late use.
    12.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump
    Aqua Trol SWG
    Solar heat coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank
    Hayward DV-4000 suction pool cleaner "Freddie"

4. Back To Top    #4

Martinez, CA

You can verify swg operation by getting a sample of water directly from the return in the pool and seeing if it has a slightly higher 1-3ppm) chlorine level than the pool.
    18,000 gunite pool/spa combo. Pebble tec, iaqualink rs8, cl580 filter, aquapure 1400, 400k btu lx heater, 10 solar panels, jandy 1hp, 1 1/2hp, and 2hp stealth pumps for circ, spa, waterfall