Zodiac Jandy neverlube #4417 activator valve shaft

Jul 8, 2016
temecula, ca
Couple of days ago noticed part#4717 valve handle was not turning diverter. I removed knob on top, handle and electric box to find Jandy shaft had broken off top of diverter under valve cover. I removed plastic broken pieces from top of cover and tested to see if electronics still work using switch on side and heard motor noise but no action since I had removed broken Jandy shaft valve.
This is an older Jandy valve like maybe going back to 2003. Jandy tells me #4424 is new valve.
1- Shaft I removed has four slots on top, one being more narrow than other 3.
2 - Female threads for handle on top of shaft
3 - A spring inside shaft on bottom
4- two cams(a top and a bottom both being blue), both having degrees marked every 90 degrees. Bottom cam appears to be cemented to Jandy shaft
5 - a blue washer and a 1/2" pipe thread plastic washer.
6 - Shaft color looks like faded clear plastic that has been out it Sun or in pool chemicals too long.

Problem is Jandy customer support line is saying its an old part I need to replace with a #4424 valve and I wonder if electronics for #4417 will fit replacement #4424.

Any suggestions where I can purchase a replacement shaft as described above. I checked with Amazon and Ebay, nothing.
Help!
Thanks

jandyshaft.jpg

I spent yesterday afternoon trying to get through to Jandy customer support, Finally was told replacement shaft for JAV(Jandy Activator Valve) was not only not available but JAV for my #4417 was no longer available.
So I go to Ebay and see others selling a JVA 2444 and was wondering if it would fit my #4417. Any know before I call Jandy once again today or Monday?
I see where Pentair, I'll be calling them too if they answer today to ask if their CVA24T will replace JVA on my #4417. My JVA's all 3 are face up meaning label over years is unreadable so have no clue what JAV is powering valve.
Thanks
Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP :)

I think they all use 24 Volts to move the valve... I am not 100% positive but I know someone used a jandy to turn a pentair valve :)

Thanks. I was about to purchase a PE24VA on Ebay from intermatic until I found a used Jandy 2440 and it appears from pic top of shaft is same color as broken Jandy shaft I removed from JAV from top of my 4717.
If 2440 works with shaft on top of #4717 good if not perhaps I can take out shaft and use it in old Jandy activator that makes a motor turning sound when I flip switch one way or other.
Either way it is over and hopefully done for now.
Thanks

used Ebay $35.00 JVA 2440 arrived yesterday. I removed shaft after removing 4 gear section screws from electrical portion of JVA. And yes shaft appeared to be exactly same shaft from JVA that broke. Then played around with setting 180 degrees rotation and end result it works. Flow from filter goes to solar or directly to heater using auto from control panel then out to pool or spa through another 4417 and its JVA.
I have a question.
It gets like really hot here in Temecula with my solar panel getting lots of sun, water in solar panel must be like really hot. If I don't send some of that hot water to pool which might make pool or spa water hotter than I might want, would not sending that hot water and keeping water in solar panel all day cause damage to panel or transfer too much contaminant what ever from rubber panel tubes to get into sitting hot water.
And same for winter is there some rule of sending sitting stagnant cold water in panel out and into pool every so often?
And a little tip.
When removing electric top portion of JVA from gear section below be careful which side you have up and down so gears don't drop out of gear section. I can't remember now if it was electric side down or up but I think it was down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.