Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algicide or not

1. Back To Top    #1

Algicide or not

Just opening my pool pump has been running for two days slamming it with chlorine, clearing up nicely am about to brush the pool walls have been in the habit of pouring algicide around perimeter before brushing but I am now wondering if that is a waste ?? Should algicide be added to pool if no algae ????
    14 x 28 IG, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 3/4hp pump, auto puck chlorinater,(used only when away) Hayward Natural gas heater, vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algicide or not

If you follow our SLAM method taught in Pool School, you almost never need to use algaecides. Some algaecides are just weak linear quat type algaecides which chlorine readily destroys and causes foamy water. Other algaecides can contain EDTA or worse, bromine, which causes a huge chlorine demand (in the case of bromine based algaecides, the chlorine demand is permanent). Finally, other algaecides are based on copper sulfate which, as the chemical suggests, adds copper to your pool water which creates staining and green hair.

Please read the SLAM article in Pool School or the article we have on opening pools. It will show you how to get your pool from green to clear without dumping tons of money on useless chemicals.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Absolutely not. Algaecide is certainly mislabeld because it is more of a preventative that a killer.

Just keep your FC up to the correct values and you will never need algaecide.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have spent a lot of time in the pool school which probably led me to ask before pouring just sometimes hard to get over bad habits �� Thanks for the quick replies !
    14 x 28 IG, Hayward sand filter, Hayward 3/4hp pump, auto puck chlorinater,(used only when away) Hayward Natural gas heater, vinyl liner