Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae? Or rust? Or just high cya?

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae? Or rust? Or just high cya?

My FC is 4 my Cc is 0. My cya is around 40 perhaps a little higher ?? I waited a week to test and it was still low so added more and think it's a little high. But my water looks completely clear but when you walk or vacuum there is a little cloud of something that films the bottom.

When I vacuum which is about every 5 days (seems too need it too often?) I jave to vacuum to waste or else it just puts the dirty back in through the output. So then I need to add water sooner and we have high rust in our well water.

My questions would be
    1 how often is usual for vacuuming? I don't have debris just that cloudy algae ish looking stuff but water is crystal clear

2 is there some way I can vacuum through the filter and not always to waste ?

3 do I need to take out some water to lower cya ?

4 does it sound like I need to slam even tho I have no CC and don't see algae sticking to sides or anything ?
    Dayton, Ohio
    21x42x52" 21,000 gallon AG
    New Ecco 22" sand filter with 1.5 hp pump
    14 year old used pool given to us this year, so first year in current location

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algae? Or rust? Or just high cya?

I jave to vacuum to waste or else it just puts the dirty back in through the output.
    When you are on "filter" position, are you saying the dirt/debris comes right back into the pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    When you are on "filter" position, are you saying the dirt/debris comes right back into the pool?
    Yes where the water comes back into the pool looks like dirty water. It's a sand filter we replaced the sand at beginning of last year does it need it again ?
    Dayton, Ohio
    21x42x52" 21,000 gallon AG
    New Ecco 22" sand filter with 1.5 hp pump
    14 year old used pool given to us this year, so first year in current location

4. Back To Top    #4

Bump

5. Back To Top    #5

your sand may have channeling
    check out this thread
    My sand is how to fix it?
    sand never needs replacing, other than a bacquesil conversion
    you can also deep clean your sand
    Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    heres the fc cya chart, you look ok
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
    you can perform the oclt to see if you need to slam
    Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

1. When did you last backwash?

2. What is the psi in your filter when the sand is clean? then, when it is dirty?

3. Have you ever deep--cleaned the sand?

My questions would be
    1 how often is usual for vacuuming? I don't have debris just that cloudy algae ish looking stuff but water is crystal clear 1a. Vacuum as needed. every other day is not uncommon. Your pool can be crystral clear....your need not ever be cloudy

2 is there some way I can vacuum through the filter and not always to waste ? 2a. Of course, you have a multiport valve, correct?

3 do I need to take out some water to lower cya ? 3a. Yes, but a CYA of 40 is close to perfect - You have no reason to lower it.

4 does it sound like I need to slam even tho I have no CC and don't see algae sticking to sides or anything ? 4a. Yeah, you might need to SLAM but I am not sure. Can you provide a pic of what your water looks like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School