Treat pool or wait till testing kit arrives

Blou

Jul 8, 2016
Park River, ND
I live in a rural area so I have to wait until Monday for my Taylor testing kit to arrive. We have had our pool up for two weeks. I began by adding Arm and Hammer tablets and Chlorine tablets which got my pool levels out of whack, and decided to forgo that method and follow advice on this site. The cheap test strips I'm using claim my PH is 9, ALK is within normal range, and no FC. I was hoping to wait until I get a more accurate testing kit to treat the pool but the water is getting cloudy and will not keep chlorine. Should I just wait until Monday when I receive my Taylor kit to treat? Thanks

Which test kit did you purchase?

Sounds like you'll need some bleach and muriatic acid when the kit arrives, so I'd purchase a gallon of MA and 8 or so gallons of bleach. Plain, unscented bleach wherever it's cheapest and the highest concentration (8.25% or better). That will get you started.

Even before the kit arrives, you could add up to a gallon of bleach per day to keep it from getting worse.

Check out the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals as well.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.