Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Something's wrong

1. Back To Top    #1

Something's wrong

Hi all,
    I have been battling an algae bloom for 2 weeks now. My numbers are as follows:

Chlorine: keeping it at shock level of 20
    TA 70
    CYA 60
    PH 7.8
    Calcium: vinyl...don't test
    Temp: 85
    OCLT 20 night, 0 morning

The pool isn't green anymore, just cloudy gray. Running my sand filter 24/7 on filtration setting, backwashing as needed, brushing and vacuuming daily. Water refuses to clear up.

Is it possible for this to be mustard algae? Maybe a filter problem? Just being impatient?

Any help is appreciated.
    14k gallon oval agp, sand filter, 1hp pump, BBB method, K-2006 Test Kit
    Roanoke, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Something's wrong

SLAM level for CYA 60 is 24. Just to be sure, backwash only when PSI goes up 25%? Any CC showing up? Next time it drops below FC 10 grab a pH test.

That OCLT says you've got a ways to go
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, that is a serious drop from 20 to 0 overnight! Your are battling something huge, no doubt.

It seems you are doing everything correctly. The only other thing I can think is how often are you testing your FC levels? At first, you may need to test frequently. I would add and then test again in, say, 30 minutes and see what you get.

You've got it on the run it seems. What is your CC's?

Mr. Bruce beat me to it. Raise your FC to AT LEAST 24
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

kr, just to confirm ... are you saying you lost 20 ppm of FC overnight, or that you started at 20 and lost zero?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

If the OP is really at 0 FC in the morning, wouldn't you want to drop his pH to 7.2 (or even lower for a little while)? At 7.8 his 'active' chlorine is only 33%; which combined with his lower SLAM level of 20 vs 24 really puts him/her behind the eight ball.

http://www.bluescience.com/swimming-...to-pool-water/
    42' natural free-form pool, vinyl lined, 6' deep end, 21,400 gallons
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

With the FC over 10ppm the pH test gets skewed in such a way that it isn't really useful. That's why we have it adjusted BEFORE a SLaM.

I will let others comment on the pH effect, or lack there of, on chlorine effectiveness.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Understood, but in the morning the OP has no FC at all. So why not test the pH in the morning and adjust it (likely down) before dumping more chlorine back in?
    2 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Aquarite SWG, AquaComfort 125k btu heat pump, 350lb Hayward Pro Series sand filter
    2 skimmers, 2 floor drains, 10 returns (6 in the pool, 2 in the steps, 2 in the swim-out)
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

What have your CC readings been?

pH has minimal effect on active chlorine levels when CYA is involved. All studies on the effect involve unstabilized water sources.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

Totally fine to lower your PH to 7.2 if your FC is 10 or less. I would.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    What have your CC readings been?

pH has minimal effect on active chlorine levels when CYA is involved. All studies on the effect involve unstabilized water sources.
    Wouldn't that be for the pH that is actively protected by the CYA? So the chlorine outside the protected CYA (based on the level of the CYA) would be more affected?
    TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Texas,

I lost 20 ppm in 10 hours. I WISH my FC had stayed at 20
    Roanoke, VA

12. Back To Top    #12

Duh. Totally forgot to check CC. I'll go do that now and post the reading.

I'll up my FC to 24 (Walmart's going to know me as the bleach queen!). I have a swg but have it off per manufacturer's recommendation not to run it at shock levels. Forgot to mention that too. No clue what my salt level is; I'm waiting for the tester to come in.

Also: vacuuming everyday hasn't produced a lot of gunk being removed after I scrubbed the be-wah-diddly out of it and netted everything I could (man that's hard to do when you can't see!)

BRB with the CC.
    Roanoke, VA

13. Back To Top    #13

I lost 20 ppm in 10 hours.
    Yikes! Well then .... SLAM it is. If you haven't done a deep clean on your sand, you may want to look at the Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page. It's helped a lot of people. Test FC often at first so that it doesn't drop so fast on you. You may have to test about every 15-30 minutes for a few times, but once you break thru the big algae wall, th FC will begin to hold much longer. Good luck!

Oh, make sure pH is about 7.2 before hitting it with bleach again.

- - - Updated - - -

Say, don't forget to remove the ladder or steps if possible to inspect and clean them. They are major algae homes.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

14. Back To Top    #14

Update:

Checked FC as soon as I got home. It was 22 when I left for work this morning (after pouring in more bleach) and is sitting at 4 now. Small progress but I'll take it.

When I test for CC the sample barely turns pink and results out at a 1.5.

Just poured more bleach in to get the FC back up. Tested Ph before I did and it came in at 7.2. Can I leave it there for now?

Thanks all,
    Kay

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes is right! The ladder is out of the pool - scrubbed it down with bleach twice. I will definitely check out the page for deep cleaning the sand filter. Thinking of adding some DE also just to help things along. Should I wait on that or can I go ahead and do that?

Thank you!
    Roanoke, VA

15. Back To Top    #15

It is fine to add DE if your filter pressure isn't rising too fast already. We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure. So, if the pressure takes a couple of days or more to rise 25% the adding DE is fine. Be sure to keep an eye on your pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Also, look to see if the ladder steps come apart. Often times each step hold a bunch of algae as the water slips through the cracks.