Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I just maintain a good FC level or do I need to slam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I just maintain a good FC level or do I need to slam?

Hi all,
    Here is my morning testing result. And I must say the testing was done about 2 hrs after I added (another) gallon of chlorine. I use 10% bottles that I get at Walmart. I have been losing chlorine like crazy after a lot of activity in the pool (and being gone for 2 weeks and having my kids minimally maintain the chlorine level.) I have probably added 10-12 gallons in the pat 3 days. I also adjusted the pH by adding muriatic acid--it was over 8.2 initially.
    FC 1.5
    TC 2
    CC 0.5
    CYA 40
    TA 240
    pH 7.5
    And here is my question:
    Do I need to slam the pool OR just get to the "target" range of 2-4ppm for my pool? Meaning do I need to increase the FC to 12 to have safe water and THEN let it drift back to 2-4 and maintain it there or what?
    How do I know when I need to slam it?
    I have been studying the website but have not figured this one out yet.
    Thanks so much for your help. This website presents a whole new way of dealing with my pool! And I am learning a lot but obviously I still have questions!

Last edited by Drfos; 07-08-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: additional info:
    24,000 gallon IG pool
    Vinyl liner
    Sand filter (Triton--Meteor)
    1.5 HP pump
    Well water

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Can I just maintain a good FC level or do I need to slam?

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) That will tell you if you need to SLAM.

Like you mentioned, FC 2 is the absolute minimum. That should be added immediately.

How does the water look?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Drfos View Post
    Hi all, Hiya backatcha! Where is Hudson? It helps us answer when we know your climate. Please add a state to your profile.

Here is my morning testing result. And I must say the testing was done about 2 hrs after I added (another) gallon of chlorine. I use 10% bottles that I get at Walmart. I have been losing chlorine like crazy after a lot of activity in the pool (and being gone for 2 weeks and having my kids minimally maintain the chlorine level.) I have probably added 10-12 gallons in the pat 3 days. I also adjusted the pH by adding muriatic acid--it was over 8.2 initially.

FC 1.5 Far too low for a CYA of 40. Your ideal FC is 5ppm, so if you lose some during the day you hopefully won't go below 3 ever or you risk algae. See this -->FC/CYA Chart
    TC 2
    CC 0.5 ok...positive start
    CYA 40
    TA 240 You have to treat a rising pH frequently with that TA don'tcha?
    pH 7.5
    And here is my question:
    Do I need to slam the pool OR just get to the "target" range of 2-4ppm for my pool? Meaning do I need to increase the FC to 12 to have safe water and THEN let it drift back to 2-4 and maintain it there or what? You need to perform an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) to determine if you have something growing in there. Here are the directions: Overnight Chlorine Loss Test If you need to perform a SLAM your FC should be brought up to 16 and *maintained* there until the water is clear, your OCLT is 0.5 or less, and your FC loss overnight is 1 or less. Brush the pool daily and monitor your filter for increased pressure. Then I would make your target range for the day to be 4-6, to allow for daily loss to the sun.

Read me! --> SLAM

How do I know when I need to slam it? OCLT as mentioned above
    I have been studying the website but have not figured this one out yet. Its a lot to learn, but it will click soon. It gets easier and easier and once you have your water dialed in properly it will be the easiest yet!~
    Thanks so much for your help. This website presents a whole new way of dealing with my pool! And I am learning a lot but obviously I still have questions!
    Holler back with any more questions

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Great info! Thanks so much.

Hudson is in Wisconsin. (I edited my profile.) The water is very clear and inviting looking!
    I will try your suggestions, Yip!
    24,000 gallon IG pool
    Vinyl liner
    Sand filter (Triton--Meteor)
    1.5 HP pump
    Well water