Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I just maintain a good FC level or do I need to slam?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I just maintain a good FC level or do I need to slam?

Hi all,
    Here is my morning testing result. And I must say the testing was done about 2 hrs after I added (another) gallon of chlorine. I use 10% bottles that I get at Walmart. I have been losing chlorine like crazy after a lot of activity in the pool (and being gone for 2 weeks and having my kids minimally maintain the chlorine level.) I have probably added 10-12 gallons in the pat 3 days. I also adjusted the pH by adding muriatic acid--it was over 8.2 initially.
    FC 1.5
    TC 2
    CC 0.5
    CYA 40
    TA 240
    pH 7.5
    And here is my question:
    Do I need to slam the pool OR just get to the "target" range of 2-4ppm for my pool? Meaning do I need to increase the FC to 12 to have safe water and THEN let it drift back to 2-4 and maintain it there or what?
    How do I know when I need to slam it?
    I have been studying the website but have not figured this one out yet.
    Thanks so much for your help. This website presents a whole new way of dealing with my pool! And I am learning a lot but obviously I still have questions!

Last edited by Drfos; 07-08-2016 at 01:47 PM. Reason: additional info:
    24,000 gallon IG pool
    Vinyl liner
    Sand filter (Triton--Meteor)
    1.5 HP pump
    Well water

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Can I just maintain a good FC level or do I need to slam?

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) That will tell you if you need to SLAM.

Like you mentioned, FC 2 is the absolute minimum. That should be added immediately.

How does the water look?
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Drfos View Post
    Hi all, Hiya backatcha! Where is Hudson? It helps us answer when we know your climate. Please add a state to your profile.

Here is my morning testing result. And I must say the testing was done about 2 hrs after I added (another) gallon of chlorine. I use 10% bottles that I get at Walmart. I have been losing chlorine like crazy after a lot of activity in the pool (and being gone for 2 weeks and having my kids minimally maintain the chlorine level.) I have probably added 10-12 gallons in the pat 3 days. I also adjusted the pH by adding muriatic acid--it was over 8.2 initially.

FC 1.5 Far too low for a CYA of 40. Your ideal FC is 5ppm, so if you lose some during the day you hopefully won't go below 3 ever or you risk algae. See this -->FC/CYA Chart
    TC 2
    CC 0.5 ok...positive start
    CYA 40
    TA 240 You have to treat a rising pH frequently with that TA don'tcha?
    pH 7.5
    And here is my question:
    Do I need to slam the pool OR just get to the "target" range of 2-4ppm for my pool? Meaning do I need to increase the FC to 12 to have safe water and THEN let it drift back to 2-4 and maintain it there or what? You need to perform an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) to determine if you have something growing in there. Here are the directions: Overnight Chlorine Loss Test If you need to perform a SLAM your FC should be brought up to 16 and *maintained* there until the water is clear, your OCLT is 0.5 or less, and your FC loss overnight is 1 or less. Brush the pool daily and monitor your filter for increased pressure. Then I would make your target range for the day to be 4-6, to allow for daily loss to the sun.

Read me! --> SLAM

How do I know when I need to slam it? OCLT as mentioned above
    I have been studying the website but have not figured this one out yet. Its a lot to learn, but it will click soon. It gets easier and easier and once you have your water dialed in properly it will be the easiest yet!~
    Thanks so much for your help. This website presents a whole new way of dealing with my pool! And I am learning a lot but obviously I still have questions!
    Holler back with any more questions

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Great info! Thanks so much.

Hudson is in Wisconsin. (I edited my profile.) The water is very clear and inviting looking!
    I will try your suggestions, Yip!
    24,000 gallon IG pool
    Vinyl liner
    Sand filter (Triton--Meteor)
    1.5 HP pump
    Well water