Want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction

Tonka Tuff

Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2016
Lakeland, FL
Been battling getting my pool back to normal levels. Neglect from when I moved in threw things in wack.

Did a recent test today after draining and refilling last week.

FC: 17
CC: 1
TC: 18
CYA: 110 (Used dilution method)
TA: 100
PH: 8
CH: 330

Pool Calculator says need to do a variety of things. First and foremost drain and refill 27%.

I am draining at 1 gal every 3 seconds so if my math is right it'll take me roughly 4 hours to drain the 4800 gals. Sound about right?

My process is going to be as follows. Please correct if I am wrong:

1. Drain 4800 gallons
2. Refill
3. Check Chem levels
4. Add Salt (lost in the drainings I've done)
5. Adjust TA and PH as needed AFTER CYA and FC levels are set.

You are correct that the only way to lower your CYA is by doing a partial drain. The most important thing you should concern yourself with after refill is keeping the pool properly sanitized i.e. your FC level. After that in order of importance, the CYA and pH, and finally tweaking the CH and TA.

What does your water look like? You're probably looking at a SLAM to clear the water if it's green with limited visibility. If you could post a picture that would be great.

Looks like you're targeting 80 ppm from your 110 ppm CYA based on your 27% drain. If the water is cloudy, green and far gone, I would recommend draining more. It's easier to SLAM a pool with lower CYA and you can bump it back up after the SLAM for likely less cost than the extra bleach you'll need. I'd go for closer to a 40% drain and refill.

What you do after that depends on the condition of the water, but if there is any cloudiness or evidence of algae, it's a SLAM situation.

Hi. No cloudiness and or discoloration. The pool is completely clear. I've been battling high CYA levels since I got this pool. The CYA was off the charts and so was the FC. I drained some last week and retested like I said above, but it only brought the CYA down to 110. I just want to get back to normal levels.

Other than that I'm not really having any issues (except for low salt from the fresh water, but I bought about 5 bags today. May need more.) I'm still getting used to the SWG I had installed. I have yet to do a OCLT, I'll do that when I'm back to a normal CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.