Going on Vacation

May 17, 2016
Brandon, MS
I'm getting ready to go on vacation and will be using pucks while I'm away. How much chlorine does a chlorinator add? I have purposely let my CYA fall from 40 to 30 in anticipation of having to use the pucks, and also need to know how much CYA each puck adds. I was thinking of leaving the chlorinator wide open with 7 pucks.

Should this get me through a week without coming back to a green pool? Or worse, a pool with mustard algae?

I think if you bring it up to shock level and then open up the puck floater all the way you should be just fine. The dissolve rate may depend on the type of pucks, but I know when I floated some it took 2 or 3 weeks for them all to dissolve. You may not need 7, but I understand why you're doing that

I would agree. Boost to SLAM level just before you head-out the door. That will get you thru 2-3 days I would think. The tabs in the floater might even still be intact when you return. Even my in-line chlorinator (when I used to use it) would leave a stack of tabs for 2-3 weeks before they started to breakdown. FYI - yes, the Poolmath calculator will help you determine the effects of chemicals. They increase CYA anywhere from 7-9 ppm. Just depends on what type of tabs you are using. Oh, check your pH before leaving too. Tabs are acidic so they may lower yore pH a bit. Have a nice trip.

Pool Math continues to amaze me. According to pool math, 7 7 oz tabs should increase my FC by 15 and my CYA by 8, but the variable is the breakdown rate. Texas, my in-line chlorinator (that cost me hundreds of dollars when I was using the Pool Store Method of Pool Care) would also leave tabs for 2 weeks or more. That tells me that I can expect a FC add of about 5-8 for the week. Along with SLAM at the beginning, this should keep me through. Thanks, all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.