HELP, Pool is too warm here in Texas! Can it be cooled without a chiller?

Jun 30, 2016
Spring, Texas
Ok, I've read the post from 5 years ago about building some jets to cool the pool. That is exactly what I was planning to do, unfortunately for me, my return lines are 2" (or less but not 1-1/2") MALE. Does anyone have this type of set-up and can it be done? I really don't want to purchase a chiller if I can save myself 2k! Temp is averaging 91 so far in June/July. I'd love to get it down to 85 at least.

I've tried, but again the only problem i have is finding something to replace the cap/eye (pictures attached) that goes over the return pipe.

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to make a few of these, but have not found any type of adapter that will connect to the return pipe.

I worked with someone who attached something to one of his jets that came up above water level and sprayed the water in a fan shape across the pool. He said if he runs that a night the cooler night air will drop the temp of his pool. Not sure what the gadget is called. Maybe someone else on here knows more.

UPDATE....Ok, I have an update. Call me an idiot, but I did not realize there was a female fitting in the return line. I had to buy a "Key" to remove it and then was able to find a
1-1/2" fitting at Home Depot. Now I can begin the project. I plan to make three spray jets and run them tonight. The pool was at 91 at 10 am this morning and now at 93 4:30pm CST here in The Woodlands. If I can get it below 90 with these I will be as happy as a kid in a candy store. I'm hoping for 85 degrees.

Now you're cookin'! Remember, the best cooler will throw the droplets HIGH into the air for maximum evaporative cooling. You may not create enough psi with three returns to get the height that will be really effective. I cap off two of my returns so my entire (pretty strong) pump is running through 4 - 1/8 " holes. My psi is around 28 (up from 11) but I can throw that water almost 25' high.

Run it 24/7. You'll get evaporative cooling day and night and your pool will be cool....promise!

Now you're cookin'! Remember, the best cooler will throw the droplets HIGH into the air for maximum evaporative cooling. You may not create enough psi with three returns to get the height that will be really effective. I cap off two of my returns so my entire (pretty strong) pump is running through 4 - 1/8 " holes. My psi is around 28 (up from 11) but I can throw that water almost 30' high.

Run it 24/7. You'll get evaporative cooling day and night and your pool will be cool....promise!

I did "lots" of 1/16 inch holes but yours sounds more successful than mine. Maybe I need to rethink it. I got too afraid to shut 2 of the three valves and end up sending more water through so I just shut off jets in the swim out. Maybe I need not be so timid and go ahead and test that pressure.

Aimee,

As long as you have just a little flow, you will be fine. Your psi may come up to 30+ and that's all your pump can do....still no harm. If you capped off the pump completely, your psi would be at 35-maybe 40 and that's as high as your pump can go. That's still OK but the problem with no flow is the water will overheat since it can't get out of the pump and will actually melt the pump body.

Anyway, what I am saying is with any flow at all, your pump is fine and less flow means the higher pressure you have to catapult those drops high into the air.....that's when the fountain becomes effective. You can actually feel the falling drops as cooler than the pool water.

I also think it's important to run 24/7. If you have kids they'll play in the "rain".
attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Duraleigh,

Yes....I can feel the drops are cooler with mine but pool temp didn't seem to get a notable adjustment. I will try higher pressure this weekend. There is another benefit we've found for the sprinkler in general which applies to anyone reading with horse flies. We have an issue with horse flies and we've found that taking cover under the "rain" water from the sprinkler helps.

Daughter got bit by one the first year with the pool and next day face was so swollen her eye was shut. Bite was on the head through the hair. We saw it on her.

So the sprinkler cooler might provide cover from horseflies too :)

Ok, I thought I would give everyone an update on if my pool fountains worked.

I started closed 3 of the 6 returns and left 1 open while running the two fountains. I ran my pump on high (had a PSI of 22) and the water actually was shooting out about 4 feet (further than the pics below on low). I started this at 5pm on Thursday and the temp was 97F here in Spring and humidity was 50%. I ran them until Saturday morning. Below are the results.

DAY/TIMEOutside TemperatureHumidityUsual Pool TempCurrent Pool TempTemp Change with FountainTime Elapsed
Thursday 5PM97F50%93F93F00
Friday 6AM80F87%89F86F-313 hrs
Friday 5PM97F42%93F90F-324 hrs
Saturday 6AM80F88%89F84F-537hrs
Saturday 11am85F73%91F85F

So, after running for 36 hours over two nights, i got the pool water down to 84F. So, i think i will run these every Thursday-Saturday morning and may again Saturday night in able to enjoy a cooler water temp during the day!

UPDATE____ Ok, here is my (not perfect) finished job. I plan to make two more and see how it does. I tested the temp this morning after letting these two run last night and it was 88 instead of the normal 89, so that's something.View attachment 51838

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.