Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small white specs throughout water

1. Back To Top    #1

Small white specs throughout water

We have what appears to be very tiny white specs throughout the pool water. I would not consider the water cloudy at all and can't really see them from above the surface, I really only notice if I'm under water with goggles on. They don't hover around the surface or sink to the bottom, just float around throughout the water; doubt you'd even see them if I tried to take a picture with an underwater camera. The quantity doesn't seem to be increasing by much if at all, hard to tell.

All searching I've done on the site returns cloudy water, larger pieces, etc., so doesn't seem to match. I'm assuming this isn't harmful in the least, and I should probably just ignore it since you can't see it from the surface, but am wondering if it indicates the filter isn't working as well as it should. We have a cartridge filter and I believe they're supposed to pick up particles smaller than what I should be able to see? The cartridges looked a little worn (just purchased house), don't know how old they are; the PSI was around 13-14 when first opening the pool, around 15-16 now.

I'm sure the answer will be to ignore it, it's fine, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and still wonder if anything could be done to help clear it up.
    40 y/o IG L-Shaped Clayton & Lambert Diving Pool, 40K gal, SS walls, gunite floors, & auto cover
    Sta-Rite S8M150 450 sqft 125 GPM Cartridge Filter, Sta-Rite PHK2RA6E-102L 1 HP Pump
    Pentair MiniMax NT 250 DV 250K BTU Heater, Filled w/ filtered well & testing w/ TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Small white specs throughout water

How are you chlorinating the pool? Can you post current test results? Have you made any recent chemical additions or adjustments?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry, totally meant to post that and forgot.

pH = 7.5
    FC = 10 (varies from 6-12)
    CC < .5
    TA = 150
    CH = 275
    CYA = 70
    Bor = 40
    Temp = 81 (varies from 80-90)

Currently using trichlor tablets through a chlorine feeder because we inherited a bunch when we purchased the house; will switch to salt or bleach when they run out.

I've added Metal Free and Scale Free maintenance dose's in the past (again inherited) because the CH was originally 450 but have gotten it down by topping off with softened water.

I've also used a clarifier a couple times (also inherited), again, maintenance dose.
    40 y/o IG L-Shaped Clayton & Lambert Diving Pool, 40K gal, SS walls, gunite floors, & auto cover
    Sta-Rite S8M150 450 sqft 125 GPM Cartridge Filter, Sta-Rite PHK2RA6E-102L 1 HP Pump
    Pentair MiniMax NT 250 DV 250K BTU Heater, Filled w/ filtered well & testing w/ TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Use of trichlor tablets will continue to raise your CYA level. They are also acidic so are currently probably helping keep your pH in line, despite your relatively high TA level. Continued use of them is not worth it, because your CYA level is already fairly high for a non-SWG pool.

Using Pool Math and your current numbers, your CSI is fairly neutral at 0.13. Even at a CH of 450, your CSI is 0.3, not likely an issue for scaling. If your pH were to climb to 7.8, you would have a CSI slightly over 0.6 so then scaling would be a concern at 450 CH, 7.8 pH but not at 450 CH, 7.5 pH.

I don't see anything that jumps out that would cause small particles to be floating in the pool. It could be flecks of trichlor as they come off the tablets in the chlorinator but I wouldn't expect that in any significant quantity.

I would try chlorinating with bleach for a week or so and inspecting the filter pleats for damage.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons