Best pump filter value for 24' Sunken AGP

matthewfrance

Gold Supporter
Jun 26, 2016
Denham Springs, LA
I'm having a 24' x 52" Doughboy with 7' deep end installed next week. The pool was a display model, so the pump and filter that comes with the package is a Blue Torrent Typhoon 1hp 110v self primer (since pump and filter will be installed approx. 1ft above water line) and Black Diamond 120 sq ft cartridge filter. Little info is available online for the pump and filter and the pump is single speed. I've learned while browsing the forum dual speed and even variable speed pumps offer substantial energy savings. Since the pool is not yet installed, now is the time to go with a better pump/filter. The install includes 1.5" plumbing. I already have 110v at install location.
My questions are:
Should I upgrade to a VS or dual speed pump and if so, which model represents the best value in quality and price in your opinions for my pool?
Should I upgrade the filter as well?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP :)

I would get at the least a 2 speed, a VS pump is great but my not be worth the price if you have low power rates..

I would get a way bigger cartridge filter, at least a 320 sq ft, I have a 100 sq ft on my 700 gallon hot tub

These are the type I would recommend :) the problem with most in ground pool pumps is they are 220V not 110V...
Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP Single Speed Pump - 340038 - INYOPools.com

the 225 or 325 would work well for you :)
Hayward Swimclear Cart. Filter 325 Sq Ft - C3030 - INYOPools.com
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter 320 Sq. Ft. - 160340 - INYOPools.com

I hope this helps :)

VS pump will not pay you back unless your electric rates are outrageous (read: California).

A 2-speed, however, will pay you back very quickly.

Getting a bigger filter to match your good 2 speed pump is a terrific idea....you will never regret that.

Thank you for the advice! Earlier today I decided on (and ordered) the Hayward SP2602VSP and c17502 filter. After reading your posts, I think I'm good with the VS pump, but probably need to move up to at least the c2030 or ev n the c3030 filter.
With the pool spec'd with 1.5" plumbing, would the above pump and c2030 filter perform well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.