Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water is cloudy...

1. Back To Top    #1

Water is cloudy...

The pool is clean, no debris or anything like that, but the water is cloudy. Saltwater, ~10k gallons.

pH is high, about 8, Chlorine is 3-4.

It was not cloudy several days ago. However, I did add ~5 lbs cyanuric acid.

Can CYA cause cloudiness? What should I do?

Thanks so much for any help that can be provided.

On a side note, I just bought my first house ~2 weeks ago and have never owned a pool before. I look forward to getting help, and helping others on this forum once I get a bearing for how to take care of a pool.

Cloudy 2.jpgCloudy 1.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water is cloudy...

To add:

TA: 130
    CH: 120
    CYA: 100
    Salt: 4,000

3. Back To Top    #3

How long ago did you add your 5lb of stabilizer

- - - Updated - - -

When was the last time you tested your water and what test kit do you have ??
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

4. Back To Top    #4

Added CYA 2 days ago.

I have the Taylor Technologies K-2005C test kit, which I used to test the water yesterday.

5. Back To Top    #5

Chlorine is too low for 100 CYA. And if you added it two days ago, it's still climbing.

Salt is also too high, and probably shutting down your SWG.

My bet is organic contamination.
    My Pool: 18'x36' Grecian. Vinyl Liner, 500# sand filter, SWG.

My hobbies: Brewing beer and flying rockets.

6. Back To Top    #6

How did you add your stabilizer did you put it in a sock and hang it over your ladder or put it in the skimmer box or did you sprinkle it all over the water ???
    Chris- Macomb, Michigan 20,000 gallon pool IGP. 16 x 32 Hayward Ecostar pump. Hayward 24 inch sand filter with Zeo sand. Hayward Aqua plus P4 automation board with T-15 turbo cell. Hayward H150 heater millivolts style. Polaris 9300 robot vacuum. New maytronics titain plus vacuum cleaner Test kits TF-100 and color Q7 TEST KIT.http://tftestkits.net.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rolo918 View Post
    How did you add your stabilizer did you put it in a sock and hang it over your ladder or put it in the skimmer box or did you sprinkle it all over the water ???
    Sprinkled.

8. Back To Top    #8

FYI - To make your 2005 kit a 2006 version, you'll simply want to order the FAS-DPD portion as soon as possible. It's s shame you added that CYA, it put you way too high. The CYA itself didn't make your water cloudy, the high CYA combined with low FC allowed algae to begin. Before you can attack that algae and "SLAM" (link below), you need to do a partial water exchange. Probably about 50% of your water to get the CYA down to about 50 in preparation for the SLAM. You'll also need that FAS-DPD portion to do the SLAM.

Not sure what prompted you to increase the CYA by so much, but always ensure to look at the TFP "Recommended Levels" chart (Link below) to ensure you are in the correct ranges for each chemical. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!