First time Slamming here...

Jun 17, 2015
Georgia
So I have the Intex 18 ft by 48 inches I believe...it's 7600 gallons on the pool calculator. We are running the pump that came with it. This is our second year having it and I followed TFP last year with crystal clear water all season long. It was awesome!

So we opened the pool, had a few weeks of wonderful water. Then something happened and we got a green tint that looked like dirt on the bottom. I didn't waste any time and decided to SLAM. We had added CYA gradually with the sock method but I'm reading the test at 90 but realizing that there is room for error. I decided to SLAM with those levels knowing I was wasting bleach but my 8 year old wants to swim. We brushed, kept the level up for several days. Did the overnight test. Green is gone, water is clearer, FC is floating back down...we are about 16 right now with FC. The water is still a tad cloudy and the filter is being cleaned twice a day, constantly skimming, pump running almost all the time...trying to filter that cloudiness out. Lowered pH to 7.4. Alkalinity is 90. Anything else I can do for the cloudiness and when can she swim? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I am so thrilled to have this site to turn to!

Also, after the water clears completely I plan on draining some and adding back to get the CYA to a more ideal level. Had to order more testing supplies so I can get this adjusted.

So continue until no cloudiness? We have passed the other two tests - CC and OCLT.

- - - Updated - - -

After we get completely clear, at what level of FC is it safe to swim? And is pH test reliable at these higher levels of FC?

I don't think we have a sand filter...we are using the basic pump and filter. This is not our forever pool lol! We don't have a skimmer. That's what makes these pools frustrating in my opinion. They are large enough that you have to worry about all the aspects of pool maintenance but they don't have all the bells and whistles to make it easier. The vacuum for these things uses a water hose! But my 8 year old enjoys it so we put in the effort for her. Thank you for your suggestions!

We had cloudy but not that cloudy! And what I mean now, is just shy of crystal clear sparkling. I just poured 150 oz. of bleach in to get it back up to 28 FC. I will see what happens. I just hope we get it swimmable by tomorrow. We started this process last Saturday. I wasn't letting her swim in the greenish tinted water so it's been over a week since she has swam. But we want a healthy pool! Thanks so much for the help!

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], below minimum is unsafe and unsanitary
FC is up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Water is clear

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.