New above ground pool owner getting ready

z33tec

Jul 7, 2016
NY
I am watching the installers finish up my pool as I type this. Trying to get everything in order that I need. It's an AGP with a vinyl liner. Sand filter.

After reading a bunch of info here, I'm thinking about not using the Aqua Smarte system that they gave me with my pool. It's one of those auto-chlorine type system things. Seems like a waste of money to not use it since I probably paid for it in the pool price, but sounds like they are not very good long term. Should I just use the started chemicals they gave me and switch to BBB method after that?

I already ordered the TF-100 test kit, so that's on its way. I am going to pick up some liquid chlorine (seems to be cheaper than using bleach), muriatic acid, baking soda, and borax.

The pool package came with the vacuum to clean it and the skimmer pole.

Is there anything else I'm missing that I should be buying?

OH! Another big question I have...! Would it be safe to use an extension cord TEMPORARILY while I wait for the electrician to come and run the power out to the pool? We're going to have about a week or so gap between when the pool is complete and when the electric can be run. Should I just bite the bullet and not fill the pool until then or can I get a good outdoor extension cord just to keep it clean til then? Obviously, would unhook it if we go in (although might be too cold anyway since it will just be filled).

Don't know anything about pools so just trying to get ready for all of this! This forum seems very helpful. Will also update signature when they are done with the install.

Thanks!

I am watching the installers finish up my pool as I type this. Trying to get everything in order that I need. It's an AGP with a vinyl liner. Sand filter. FUN! Exciting times to come ;)

After reading a bunch of info here, I'm thinking about not using the Aqua Smarte system that they gave me with my pool. It's one of those auto-chlorine type system things. Seems like a waste of money to not use it since I probably paid for it in the pool price, but sounds like they are not very good long term. Don't use it if you want to protect your pool from mineral metal stains. We do not recommend mineral systems.

Should I just use the started chemicals they gave me and switch to BBB method after that? It depends on what start up chemicals they gave you? I would just tell them you'll handle the chemistry and ask them not to add anything. Lets you do it right from the onset instead of finding out later they added something we don't agree with. Copper containing algaecides, for example. Ugh!

I already ordered the TF-100 test kit, so that's on its way. I am going to pick up some liquid chlorine (seems to be cheaper than using bleach), muriatic acid, baking soda, and borax. SMART move on the TF-100!! It is *the best* out there. Walmart is currently selling 10% liquid chlorine for $2.50 in some areas folks are reporting. Check that out. Otherwise just price out plain, unscented bleach and buy fresh stock. Don't buy it if its been stored outside in the sun and heat as that makes it lose potency. If you don't live far from stores-Don't buy Muriatic Acid, Borax or Baking Soda yet...you may not even need them. Buy some Stabilizer -one jug of about 4# will do it.

The pool package came with the vacuum to clean it and the skimmer pole. A skimmer for that pole to skim the surface of the water

Is there anything else I'm missing that I should be buying? A pool noodle or two? Floats? Six pack? BEACH TOWELS!!

OH! Another big question I have...! Would it be safe to use an extension cord TEMPORARILY while I wait for the electrician to come and run the power out to the pool? We're going to have about a week or so gap between when the pool is complete and when the electric can be run. Should I just bite the bullet and not fill the pool until then or can I get a good outdoor extension cord just to keep it clean til then? Obviously, would unhook it if we go in (although might be too cold anyway since it will just be filled). I would suggest NOT having it plugged in if you are *in* the pool until you have a proper safe power supply.

Don't know anything about pools so just trying to get ready for all of this! This forum seems very helpful. Will also update signature when they are done with the install.

Thanks!

Welcome and congrats on the new pool :)

Yip :flower:

Welcome and congrats on the new pool :)

Yip :flower:

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Very helpful.

I ended up telling the installer not to hook up the in line Aqua Smarte system so I am going to just do the BBB method right off the bat.

The installer told me that the water will be fine for 1-2 weeks until I get my electric hooked up and running. Is this true? Or should I add something while it's filling? Should I wait to get my test kit? Just sitting here watching it fill and I feel like I need to do something lol...

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Very helpful.

I ended up telling the installer not to hook up the in line Aqua Smarte system so I am going to just do the BBB method right off the bat. Best idea yet!

The installer told me that the water will be fine for 1-2 weeks until I get my electric hooked up and running. Is this true? Or should I add something while it's filling? Should I wait to get my test kit? Just sitting here watching it fill and I feel like I need to do something lol...

No, you still need to add chlorine and mix it about daily and test. Use a pool brush for this. Also go ahead and add the CYA (in a sock, hang it off a pool noodle and let it float around or just use the pricier liquid CYA. If you use granular in the sock, squoosh it in your hands now and then to help it dissolve)

Don't worry about testing until its filled. If the fill is going to take overnight into tomorrow, tomorrow just add 1/2 gallon of bleach to protect you while its filling. Mix well any time you add a chemical to your pool.

No, you still need to add chlorine and mix it about daily and test. Use a pool brush for this. Also go ahead and add the CYA (in a sock, hang it off a pool noodle and let it float around or just use the pricier liquid CYA. If you use granular in the sock, squoosh it in your hands now and then to help it dissolve)

Don't worry about testing until its filled. If the fill is going to take overnight into tomorrow, tomorrow just add 1/2 gallon of bleach to protect you while its filling. Mix well any time you add a chemical to your pool.

Thanks again.

Any good way to mix it without the filter running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.