Using my old sand filter/ pump etc... with New Intex 26 x 52

Dega500

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I will hopefully be putting up my Intex 26x52 this weekend and I would really like to use my old filter/ pump etc..."See below) instead of the Intex pump that comes with the pool.

I think I can pull it off with some mods I read here on TFP. I was just about to order a Hayward thru wall skimmer when I wondered if I might be able to use the wide mouth skimmer from my old pool. it is fully functional but I've only seen folks install the standard size. I wonder if this to avoid cutting the larger hole in the liner? Someone did say that the wide mouth was only an add-on to the standard and I wonder what it would take to change it back to standard and just use it.

Has anyone researched this or has experience making this mod. Your comment are welcome!!!

Mike

It is certainly do-able.
I am running a pump/filter that I got from a neighbour after he demolished his 33' pool when he fell a tree, and it went the wrong way. (Across his pool!)
He sold it to me at a steal!
I didn't go the route of a through the wall skimmer though, as I like my water level to be maxed out. I even went so far as to re-line the pool this year, and currently have the level almost to overflowing above the top rails.
I modified the Over the wall skimmer so I could do this.
I will take pictures and post them here for you a bit later today, if you wish.
:)

How much depth do loose by adding a through wall skimmer? I was thinking a couple of inches but looking back, it may be more. I'm not sure where the recommended level is relative to the pool sides on these intex pools. I had a 52" wall pool before. i would think it would be as deep as that. I know just because the box says "52" deep" that it likely means the wall height.

image_zpstwjz8tax.jpeg

image_zpsipk7r3vc.jpeg

Here is my pool with the hayward wide mouth skimmer
If the gasket is bad on your old skimmer, you can buy a replacement gasket

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.