Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using my old sand filter/ pump etc... with New Intex 26 x 52

1. Back To Top    #1

Using my old sand filter/ pump etc... with New Intex 26 x 52

I will hopefully be putting up my Intex 26x52 this weekend and I would really like to use my old filter/ pump etc..."See below) instead of the Intex pump that comes with the pool.

I think I can pull it off with some mods I read here on TFP. I was just about to order a Hayward thru wall skimmer when I wondered if I might be able to use the wide mouth skimmer from my old pool. it is fully functional but I've only seen folks install the standard size. I wonder if this to avoid cutting the larger hole in the liner? Someone did say that the wide mouth was only an add-on to the standard and I wonder what it would take to change it back to standard and just use it.

Has anyone researched this or has experience making this mod. Your comment are welcome!!!

Mike
    27' Diameter Above Gound Pool, approximately 15,000 Gallons (erected 5/12/2010)
    26” Blue Ball Baquapure Sand Filter (new sand as of 5/12/2010)
    Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Model# 340204
    Simpl Chlor Cholrine Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using my old sand filter/ pump etc... with New Intex 26 x 52

It is certainly do-able.
    I am running a pump/filter that I got from a neighbour after he demolished his 33' pool when he fell a tree, and it went the wrong way. (Across his pool!)
    He sold it to me at a steal!
    I didn't go the route of a through the wall skimmer though, as I like my water level to be maxed out. I even went so far as to re-line the pool this year, and currently have the level almost to overflowing above the top rails.
    I modified the Over the wall skimmer so I could do this.
    I will take pictures and post them here for you a bit later today, if you wish.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

How much depth do loose by adding a through wall skimmer? I was thinking a couple of inches but looking back, it may be more. I'm not sure where the recommended level is relative to the pool sides on these intex pools. I had a 52" wall pool before. i would think it would be as deep as that. I know just because the box says "52" deep" that it likely means the wall height.
    27' Diameter Above Gound Pool, approximately 15,000 Gallons (erected 5/12/2010)
    26” Blue Ball Baquapure Sand Filter (new sand as of 5/12/2010)
    Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Model# 340204
    Simpl Chlor Cholrine Generator

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is my pool with the hayward wide mouth skimmer
    If the gasket is bad on your old skimmer, you can buy a replacement gasket
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"