Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: reset button won't reset

1. Back To Top    #1

reset button won't reset

Purchased my intex pump and sand filter last summer and it has worked great until now. We had a pretty heavy thunderstorm come through and now the reset button on the cord will not reset.( It is unplugged from ext. cord) Not sure if it got wet or had a power surge. I placed the cord in the sun in an attempt to dry it, in case that is what happened but still no reset. Is there anything I can do/check before purchasing a new pump?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: reset button won't reset

Hi, welcome to TFP! Have you checked to make sure it is not a problem with the outlet?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!
    Yes. Unplugged the cord completely and still no reset.

4. Back To Top    #4

Just guessing that reset is an inline GFCI? If it is those will not reset unless they have power, so it having it unplugged may be the problem. Check to make sure the outlet has power and plug it in and try again. If it still doesn't reset, that is also the typical failure mode for a GFCI by design, when it can no longer protect you it fails in a way such that you can't reset it and thus can't keep using it unprotected.

If that is what failed I don't know if you can just get a replacement cord/GCFI or need a whole new pump, but it seems like a GCFI cord replacement should be available.
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

A new cord would be less expensive than a new pump, if you can access the cord without destroying the pump housing. How big is your pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    A new cord would be less expensive than a new pump, if you can access the cord without destroying the pump housing. How big is your pool?
    The GFCI unit on our old pump failed last year and I just replaced it with a normal 3 prong plug. The outlet that it was plugged into is a GFCI outlet. No need for two GFCI's in series.

To the OP, smell the GFCI unit and if it smells like it was hot, then its bad.
    Bill (aka CR172) 16' x 48" (5300 gal) Intex Ultra Frame AGP, 2150 GPH 14" Intex sand filter/pump, Intex CS7110 SWG, Intex under water magnetic pool light, Hayward SP1091LX skimmer, Confer Roll guard safety ladder, TF-100 test kit w/ AquaCheck salt test strips.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you to everyone that resonded!
    I found out this morning that there was a lightening strike in my yard 2 days ago ( I wasn't home at the time). I prayed hard that my pump had not been burned up! I ended up performing electrical surgery on the plug and discovered that it was a replaceable part. Lowes had the part for $14. It is now running great! Not bad for an old lady!

8. Back To Top    #8

good job!
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey. I'm having the same issue. What part was it

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi, I'm so glad I saw this post! I'm running into the exact same problem that you had. My question to you is what was the exact part you purchased and how was the "surgery" performed? Was it just the Reset/Test end of the cord? Thank you so much in advance!

11. Back To Top    #11

You can put a normal plug on the cord and use this or just put a GFCI outlet where you plug your pool in. Good luck, there are many types of "inline GFCI's to choose from.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread