I just can't win the uphill battle against my pool

Sep 30, 2014
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have a roughly 18k gal pool with jacuzzi. Long story short about 6 months ago I drained and refilled the pool along with a new filter, because I could not keep the pool balanced for the life of me. Pool was good until about 2 months ago and the battle started again. This started all from my mango trees which clogged up my vac line and skimmer lines pretty bad. Just about a month ago I was finally able to clear all the lines and now the vac is stuck again. I noticed when the vac stops working the pool gets thin layer of green which settles when the pool is off. Thinking that i could no longer keep chlorine I switched to a salt system about 2 weeks ago. First couple of days the pool was awesome looking now 2 weeks later the pool needs to be brushed every few days due to the light green film which is hard to see by eye but when you brush you see it.

I'm at my wits end with this pool and would appreciate any guidance. Seems like no matter what i do to get it crystal blue it is only temporary and won't stay like that for more then a couple days. Meanwhile I have a friend with much smaller pool and similar equipment and he doesn't have to touch his pool for weeks and even month at a time.

the water is clear however I develop a small amount of green on the bottom of pool when system is off, which is hard to see but if you brush you see it. Could my equipment no be enough to keep clean? Any suggestions help.

System-
hayward northstar 1hp pump
water ways 200 sq filter
Hayward salt and swim 25k gal model (new)
2 main drains
1 skimmer line
1 vac line
3 return jets in pool
4 return jets in jacuzzi

Chemistry
salt 3200ppm
ph 7.4
hardness 200-400
alk is between 80-120
CYA 30-50

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here.

Your problems can be permanently fixed by switching to TFPC. It will take a bit of reading and commitment on your part, and experts here will guide you as much or as little as works for you.

If you want to speed up the process, order a proper test kit right away, which will enable you to take charge of your pool effectively. We recommend the TF100 from TFTest Kits, which has been configured with extra testing supplies that fit TFPC TFTestkits.net Order the XL option as well as the kit itself because you'll need this to clear the algae.

You'll save the cost of the kit back within a few months by following the methods described here: TFPC for Beginners

There's lots of success stories here about the methods, so you can decide if TFPC is right for you. One of the best things about this forum, is that there's very little arguing and experts correct anything said that is wrong or misleading, unlike many internet forums. It's like having an amazing pool consultant available any time you need them. There are sections for debating all kinds of different methods and testing new approaches, but the advice you get in your situation will be tried and true. And your pool will end up safe, sparkly clean and easy to look after for a lot less money than most people spend on residential pools.

In the meantime, I don't see a chlorine result in your tests. At CYA 50, you need 4-5 ppm FC to keep the algae down to dull roar until you have the test kit so you can effectively eliminate the algae.

And keep on asking any questions you like. People here love answering and helping other residential pool owners. Almost all of us have been in your situation in the past.

And don't worry :) there's lots of people here in your time zone and country, I just happened to be the first one to see your post. Many of us pop in and out so you're always covered with the same advice about TFPC.

Commitment is one of the biggest things with your pool... Keeping up with you levels, testing properly to get accurate results, record keeping for historical reference. Unfortunately there are no "quick fixes" that work properly or keep your pool clean and clear. The TFP way is amazing if you take the time to learn what it takes...

Your algae layer sounds like you are under chlorinated...and you probably have a sizable amount of combined chlorine levels which is eating up whatever you put in. SLAM will take of that for you but you have to commit to it and keep up with testing. K-2005/2006 or TF-100 is a must.. kinda pricey but if you want a clear pool it is a necessity. Stay away from HTH shock products and don't listen to pool store "experts". They only want to sell you product and don't care about your pool. You can get most chemicals you will need at Walmart or Lowes. And ask lots of questions!

Not uncommonly, your are pointing the finger at your equipment when the problem is your lack of chlorine in that pool. Algae simply cannot grow in a properly chlorinated pool but there is no stopping algae regardless of your equipment if you do not have enough chlorine.

We can teach you how but you have to start with one of the suggested test kits....no cheap compromises. Pool School - Test Kits Compared

While you wait a couple of days for your kit, please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

I'll third that you need a good test kit, and second that your problem is not enough chlorine. I'd order a proper test kit today. While I waited, I'd use PoolMath at this site to figure out what my chemical levels need to be, including chlorine, then I'd go get a lot of bleach and start the SLAM process. The only downside is spending a little more money on bleach that you don't need. After you get the kit, test the water and post results here and/or use PoolMath again to figure out how much of what you need to add.

Thank you for all the replies. Ok sounds like FC level is the problem. Can someone link me to the right place to learn SLAM and the pool chemical pages? How do I get and keep free chlorine because thats what I bought a salt system for, so I wouldn't have to mess with the annoying jugs of chlorine anymore. I do have about 3.5gal of chlorine here I guess I could dump in but shouldn't my salt system be providing all the chlorine I should need? I am pretty disciplined on cleaning and trying to keep clean but sweeping my pool every other day is not my idea of enjoying a pool.
I'm confused why my pool depletes FC so quickly like within days?
Regarding test strips I have the HTH 6 way strips, insta check 4 plus strips, and aqua check salt strip as well as the kits with the dyes.

I'm confused why my pool depletes FC so quickly like within days?

Because you have an algae problem. Something is using up the chlorine. I've been where you are, and I also have a salt system. You may not be running your system long enough. I did not permanently fix my problem until I got a real test kit and started augmenting the SWG until I showed no FC chlorine drop overnight. I am pushing the limits of my SWG, I don't have the $$$ to get a new one with the larger pool I have now, so I add bleach every couple days. It isn't a 'hassle', I just measure out the amount I want and pour it in front of the return.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To get rid of the algae, you'll need to brush a lot. That's temporary to get it clean. After that, weekly brushing is enough.

Once the pool is clean, (after you SLAM it) the SWG will maintain your free chlorine (FC) level. The SWG is a slow and steady producer of chlorine, but to SLAM you need a higher than normal level of FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.