Invasion of the pests?

beemer

Mar 29, 2016
Spring, Texas
I never knew there were so many June bugs in our neck of the woods until I turned the pool lights on one night, and they literally chased us out of the SPA. There must have been 30+ land in our tiny SPA (or on us!) in a span of 5-10 minutes! I've never seen anything like it. Is there some secret to making the pool less appealing to them? Some color of light they don't LOVE? My skimmer is literally full of hundreds of them.

Also any suggestions for the floatilla of suicidal fire ants? I actually thought I might have some crazy algae floating in the pool until I got the net and started skimming the surface and realized it's just millions of dead ant bodies. I can't for the life of me find where they are coming in, or where their mound is, but they are a constant despite a healthy spraying of the outside of the entire deck twice - something that's killed them or at least dissuaded them from using our driveway/sidewalks as permanent crossing routes from the neighbor on one side to the neighbor on the other. On the bright side there's a few million less ants... but I hate having to net the surface of the entire pool before we can get in in the event that any are still alive! I've read DE &/or Borax might dissuade them as well? Anyone tried either? Does it work? If so, how do you apply it?

We spray Home Defense around the pool/deck perimeter to keep ants away. Our pool light hasn't been on in years. And now you know why! We have lighting away from the pool that we turn on to light the pool area. Attracts bugs away from the pool. :thumleft:

Speaking about ants, I found a lot of useful information on this blog. It's written there that aerosols are the most popular product to fight ants but I think they are not suitable for pool owners. However, there is a lot of ways to fight ants invasion and all of them are described there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.