Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: House Sitting for a Friend

1. Back To Top    #1

House Sitting for a Friend

We're house sitting for some people in the neighborhood. They have a dog and a bird that we're feeding. Big pool in the backyard but they didn't ask us to do anything with it. I believe they have a service.

I was bored and nosy so I grabbed a sample and brought it home.

FC 0.6
    CC 0.2
    pH 8.2 or greater
    TA 230
    CH 525
    CYA 180

How in the world is this thing not green?
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: House Sitting for a Friend

Weird looks bad..
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ack! It is one bad day away from a "help, my pool was fine yesterday and green today!" thread on TFP. And it is already building up calcium scale everywhere.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey, nosey-posey! Hahaha. Use a 10ml sample to save on the reagents for YOUR pool. Use a 0.5 multiplier instead of 0.2.

Did you do a dilute test to get that CYA number?

5. Back To Top    #5

Hah! I only ran the 25 ml FC test after the 10 ml was kinda inconclusive. It only sort of turned pink when I added the powder and also got very cloudy.

And yes, that was a diluted CYA test. The undiluted test was way below the 100 line.

The pool is an old school white plaster pool like they did in the '80s. I'll take a look tomorrow for scaling.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

6. Back To Top    #6

Hopefully the pool service's "nuke the pool" day is tomorrow.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by needsajet View Post
    Hopefully the pool service's "nuke the pool" day is tomorrow.
    If they're like my old pool service, they'll throw in some shock, maybe a bit of acid if they remembered to bring their test strips with them, turn on the pump and call it a day. In and out in under 10 minutes.
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
    If they're like my old pool service, they'll throw in some shock, maybe a bit of acid if they remembered to bring their test strips with them, turn on the pump and call it a day. In and out in under 10 minutes.
    I worked in the office for a pool service company and the techs called it "splash and dash".
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

9. Back To Top    #9

I read here somewhere that nothing says "I Love Your Pool" better than a shiny new test kit for a welcome home present
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

10. Back To Top    #10

As much as I want to do that, I don't think the gesture would come across too well. They're a nice family - if it ever comes up in discussion I'll share my experiences. But I'm probably better served to keep my mouth shut than tell them they need to drain 2/3 (or more) of their pool.