does this pump sound normal?

We have zero air in our pump basket. Your setup may not be able to achieve zero air (many variables exist). But you have minimal air, which is quite safe to operate, but may add just a bit of noise.

I do remember a time when I had almost no air, I can only see a single tiny bubble dot. I'm not sure what happen in the last year. Maybe I got something stuck in the pump. Gonna pick up a flush bladder and see if I can flush the pipes and see if it help.

FWIW, a few weeks ago I took the pump apart to make sure the impeller is clear. No debris found. I'll report back later on this week once I try to clear the pipes.

I do remember a time when I had almost no air, I can only see a single tiny bubble dot. I'm not sure what happen in the last year. Maybe I got something stuck in the pump. Gonna pick up a flush bladder and see if I can flush the pipes and see if it help.

FWIW, a few weeks ago I took the pump apart to make sure the impeller is clear. No debris found. I'll report back later on this week once I try to clear the pipes.

Good idea; blow backwards (from pump to skimmer) if you can.

When you took pump apart, how did the insides look and feel (impeller and volute)? Were they smooth and free of gouges and chips?

Good idea; blow backwards (from pump to skimmer) if you can.

When you took pump apart, how did the insides look and feel (impeller and volute)? Were they smooth and free of gouges and chips?

Beside some dirt, I don't recall signs of scratches or chips. But to be honest, I didn't really look for any of those sign. I'm going to be installing a SWG in a week and I plan on cleaning up the way the pipes are routed. Since I'll have the pump out, I'll open it again to do a thorough check.

Trivia (probably more than you wanted to know):

Within the type of pump used for pools (centrifugal; a very common type for moving water), the spinning impeller and fixed volute do not make contact; a slight distance exists between the impeller blades and the volute surface. Chips or gouges in the impeller blades' edges or volute's surface decreases the pump's performance by allowing some water to not be pushed along. The skimmer and pump baskets exist to prevent entry of impeller-damaging floating debris (e.g., sticks). Impellers of pool pumps are plastic; impellers of many non-chemical resistant centrifugal pumps are metal (e.g., steel, brass). In pool systems, integrity of skimmer and pump baskets is critical because they stop debris before it reaches the plastic impeller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.