Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does this pump sound normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

does this pump sound normal?

I contacted Hayward and they say maybe bad bearing after I told them it's running loud. They never saw this clip. The pump is installed on the outside wall of the family room and I can hear it hum pretty loud. I never notice it before, just making sure I'm not just imagining.

Loud hayward variable speed pump - YouTube
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: does this pump sound normal?

That sounds very loud to me. I can't help diagnose why but I can say that is what mine sounded like not long before it quit (fried) and tripped the breaker. We replaced the motor after that.

Maybe another more knowledgable person can help you save your motor before it melts the faceplate like mine did.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

That does sound a little too loud.

How old is the pump?

What speed is it running at in the video?

What is the filter pressure?

4. Back To Top    #4

I was hoping someone would say that I'm crazy. The pump is less than 18 months old and ran for 4-5 hrs day @ half speed almost all winter.

That was full speed 3k rpm I backwashed a few weeks ago, running @ about 11-12 psi.
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

5. Back To Top    #5

It could be bad bearings, but it does not sound like normal bad bearings. Bad bearings are normally more screechy. Maybe send the video to Hayward?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
    I contacted Hayward and they say maybe bad bearing after I told them it's running loud. They never saw this clip. The pump is installed on the outside wall of the family room and I can hear it hum pretty loud. I never notice it before, just making sure I'm not just imagining.

Loud hayward variable speed pump - YouTube
    It also depends on how you recorded the clip- mobile mic amplifier auto- adjusts to the volume creating impression of the sound being 'loud'. It would help if you said something with normal voice during the clip for reference. Did you try to switch to lower speed? Bearings in general don't go bad on their own- it's usually a bad seal letting water through which causes rust which eats the bearing and you get noise at the end. This kind of problem tends to make noise louder with time as bearing wears out. I still expect you to have weeks if not months before it seizes completely. I don't expect it to burn anything suddenly.

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks James, I just sent them the clip with my serial #. I wonder how Hayward customer services is. I think the pump only have 1 year warranty because I DIY the install and I'm already pass that. I can't seem to find any warranty information online
    SF Bay

8. Back To Top    #8

What rpm is the pump running at in the video

9. Back To Top    #9

Full speed @3k rpm
    SF Bay

10. Back To Top    #10

It is a little bit loud, but at full speed, it’s not way above normal. Can’t really tell from the video, though.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'll do a better one tomorrow
    SF Bay

12. Back To Top    #12

Here's a clip I just made at 2k, 2.4k and 3k rpm I was speaker @ about 1.5 ft away from the phone.

Hayward SP2302vsp running loud at different speeds - YouTube
    SF Bay

13. Back To Top    #13

Is the motor made by Hanning Elektro-Werke?
    Can you post a picture of the motor label?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Is the motor made by Hanning Elektro-Werke?
    Can you post a picture of the motor label?
    Yup it is,
    SF Bay

15. Back To Top    #15

I have heard that pump with that same motor. Yours sounds louder. I will go listen to the pump again at the same speeds.

16. Back To Top    #16

I think my Pentair 011018 is louder and its predecessor single speed Hayward was even louder. Both are / were running fine for years. I'd just monitor it over time, it doesn't sound to me like it requires urgent attention.

17. Back To Top    #17

We have a 1.5HP 2-speed Pentair Optiflow (in use for 2 months). At high speed it normally sounds like yours (loud at a distance of 1.5 ft). Over the years during my career as a consulting engineer (retired now), I've heard many pumps run (up to 75HP). I've never been responsible for maintaining them though. To me your pump sounds okay except for the fact you haven't noticed it being this loud before.

Have you always had air in the pump Basket? Air in the system can cause some noise. When we run our pump (below water level) on high, air disappears from the pump basket quickly, and we bleed it off with the filter. Could something be restricting your pump suction? That could make your pump work hard (be noisy), too, and a suction restriction could be why you have air in your pump basket.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

18. Back To Top    #18

Here's what the bubbles looks like after an hour of running @ full speed... does that look ok?

Pool pump bubbles - YouTube

19. Back To Top    #19

I have the same pump and it sounds about the same. If the heater isn't on I usually have it set at 1300rpm and it is pretty quiet.
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz View Post
    Here's what the bubbles looks like after an hour of running @ full speed... does that look ok?

Pool pump bubbles - YouTube
    We have zero air in our pump basket. Your setup may not be able to achieve zero air (many variables exist). But you have minimal air, which is quite safe to operate, but may add just a bit of noise.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast