24hrs into SLAM, added too much Chlorine

zouhbi

Gold Supporter
Jul 5, 2016
Tarzana, CA
Just a matter of time before I needed to come and seek help

24hrs into SLAM and adding more chlorine to the required 24ppm FC. A second of not paying attention to my calculation I added too much chlorine and ended with 30ppm. Heavy Chlorine smell, bubbles on the surface just like carbonated water, at least some organic matter is being taken care of.
Should I let it slide back to 24 or do i need to keep it now at the 30 level from now on? I understand that one should not swim until FC is back at 24ppm.

Balance prior SLAM

FC 0
PH 7.4
CH 250
TA 120
CYA 60

FC for SLAM 24

Thank you
Hussain

You can let it slide back to 24 on it's own. It will do so as it takes care of organics. Only need to keep dosing back up to 24 ppm once it drops below. Excessive FC will not speed the SLAM process and will just lead to more FC "wasted" to UV during the day as you proceed.

Thank you Joel

Fully aware of wasting the chlorine. Just wasn't sure if letting it slide back to 24 or have to keep at 30. I wasn't trying to speed things up. Busy fending off my two year old who thinks my toys are way cooler than his and the cute little bottles of the kit help clean the pool. Combined with mathematical mistake of calculating a gal as 64 oz (growing up in metric isn't helpful either). The end result, instead of raising from 18 to 24 I double that.

Last edited:
And keep scalping that dreaded algae with the brush. Get mad at it!

One of my grandies, 4 yrs old, likes to help me count the drops. :) And if the CC turns pink she runs over to the pool squealing... someone wee'd... someone wee'd.

@ needsajet

Precious the little ones. One big box home improvement store I once bought a test kit which had the numbers 1 to 5 on the bottles. My son counts the bottles or picked a bottle and told me what number is written on it. It was all fun until he realized the tops can be screwed off, just like toothpaste, mommies make-up and perfume or his snack pouches.
What follows is the perfect example of t he logic of a two year old: And how do we clean up the pool best? Lets drop the stuff straight into the pool. Why the hassle of scooping out 25ml at a time and doing it bit by bit? It's a 20000gal pool at that rate Papa will never get the pool cleaned. Let's help the old man.
Lucky I caught on before he was able to "help" me.

I am srubbing like a mad man. Just bent one of the poles. It now will stay extended till the end of its days.

Last edited:
Hahaha, that's funny, not the pole but the toddler :) You got this :) And yep, always good to ask, no pool question too big or small for TFP!

Did you know that you can become a TFP supporter for a very modest tax-deductible one-time donation that includes perks? Big button at the top explains it all. Helps us keep the bits and bites flowing. No pressure :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am planning on supporting this site. Very shortly.

An overnight shift of scrubbing the pool until 2am resulted in FC 19.5, CC 0.25 at 7 am (plus a wife who thinks I have always been crazy, who is now convinced that I definitely went over the cliff). Must have scrubbed a lot of matter off the walls. So not wasted chlorine. Seems I have way to go, yet i am getting somewhere. Need to get more chlorine on the way home and have to listen to the "experts" at the store once again that I am doing it all wrong.

Skip the pool store, unless that's the only place you can get liquid chlorine. What are you buying there and what's the price? You may be able to find just as good of a deal in regular household bleach at WalMart or other high volume sellers of bleach.

Keep after it!

Local OSH has KemTek Liquid Chlorine for sale 2gal/case $4.99 (regular $7.49), yet it comes with the expert standing around the isle. If my math is right this is the best cost I find around here. Unless, of course, I once again did mess up the gallons and this time a gallon was 256oz :hammer:

Clearest pool in a year. Balanced as well. All I am doing now is testing the water and adding chlorine. Thank you TFP and members for your help.

As promised I just made a donation. Basically the amount I saved not using the nonsense I was talked into over the last 12 months.

No I need to figure out where to offload all those chemicals which are just sitting around now.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.