Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please help me with the new intex liner. What to do with the 3rd hole????????

1. Back To Top    #1

Please help me with the new intex liner. What to do with the 3rd hole????????

Hi all,
    I had an 18 X 48 Ultra Frame Intex pool last year that was second hand (was a pre-2014 liner) as a starter pool for my 11 year old son. This year I decided to replace the pool liner and ended up getting a new 20 X 48 ultra Frame liner to upgrade to a bigger pool since I already had the frame work and pump from mine along with the extra framework from a friend's pool (that was the same size) that was moving and decided she wasn't going to take it with her since the liner had holes in the bottom and her new house already had an existing pool.
    My dilemma started when I opened the box to the new liner this morning got it laid out, the realized that it didn't have 2 holes like the liner I had but 3 holes and I was ready to cry. I then proceeded to call intex and they told me I had to get all of these other parts to work with the new liner but half of what they said I needed was out of stock and I would have to wait for it to come in to order it.
    I figured there had to be a way for me to use the parts that I already have from the existing pool. So I got on here and started researching. I have found that you can cut one of the holes larger to accommodate the inlet/outlet parts I already have from the old pool.
    My dilemma is what to do about the 3rd hole. Can I patch it from the inside and cut the rubber that sticks out on the outside and patch it on the outside also? Or do I need to go a different route all together? I am completely baffled with this situation altogether.
    All reply's, suggestions & help are greatly appreciated, since I am out of my element with this and have my 11 yr old son asking my every few hours when I am going to have the pool done so he can get in. Thanks so much!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please help me with the new intex liner. What to do with the 3rd hole????????

just patch the hole over, don't cut that outlet out.it will be fine with one inlet like your old smaller pool.or if you have one of those old black plugs from you old pool plug it.
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Please help me with the new intex liner. What to do with the 3rd hole????????

The inlet part I have is bigger than the hole that is there. I don't have a black plug to plug it with, I didn't buy the whole thing just a new liner) already had the frame, the pump w/ lines, skimmer, inlet & outlet pieces, plungers & lines from the 18 X 48 intex ultra frame setup. My older pool liner (made before 2014) only had 2 big holes (one inlet line to the pump & one outlet line from the pump to the pool.)
    When I called intex today they said the inlet piece and the split hose plunger valve are out of stock along with 3 of the other parts that I have to have to hook it up to the new and they don't know when the stuff will come in. I would prefer to use what I already from the old pool for the inlet.

4. Back To Top    #4

can you take a pic?
    INTEX AGP 15'x 48", 4440 gals.,INTEX 2650 gph pump w/ 16" sand filter, Hayward widemouth skimmer,INTEX SWG-CS8110, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark vac w/ leaf canister, INTEX floating LED pool light, solar cover with polaris solar reel, Access pool steps 200600T, TF 100 test kit, "The Slime Bag" x-tra polishing 18" x 30"

5. Back To Top    #5

If you don't want to cut out the second inlet too, you could simply plug it with a piece of capped pipe, or a rubber bung. There way way easier methods of capping it off without trying to patch over it.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for replying. Could I get either of those at the hardware store? I am new to all of this.

7. Back To Top    #7

20160707_215336.jpgThis is the size of the inlet hole & outlet hole of my old liner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes you should be able to get either at a hardware store. Something like this. http://www.spaandpoolhq.com/winter-f...d-1-1-4-1-1-2/
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

9. Back To Top    #9

20160707_214907.jpg
    This is the outlet hole on the new liner. (sorry such a bad pic, it's dark here)

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you have two small holes with the molded in rubber sleeve?

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes I do but hubby cut one of the sleeves off and patched it with a clear patch on the inside with a clear patch.

12. Back To Top    #12

to reuse your old fittings, you'll need to cut the holes on your new liner to the size of your old fittings that you will be reusing
    take the old fitting apart ,use the gasket to trace the inside of the gasket circle on the new liner with a sharpie marker.
    center the gasket over the smaller hole on the new liner
    cut with an exacto knife or box cutter.
    screw old fittings into new larger hole.
    if there is an extra hole, patch over it on the inside of the pool liner
    no need to patch the outside, unless you want to

13. Back To Top    #13

20160707_214846.jpg20160707_214855.jpg
    Patched with a clear patch on the inside

- - - Updated - - -

I found the thread on how to cut the hole so I could reuse the old fittings.
    What completely baffled me was what to do with the extra hole so I could fill the pool up.

14. Back To Top    #14

that should do it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Even with the rubber boot cut off of the outside?

16. Back To Top    #16

you patched over on the inside, correct? I would have cut around the entire black section & patched, so it was a flat surface. If it looks totally sealed to you guys & it is patched from the inside, it will be fine. If you can see a crease that will allow water to follow the crease out of pool, then putting a patch on the outside probably won't help.
    If you are worried then cut around the black part & patch over the flat surface ( inside of pool)
    check this thread, it has pics that are like what you need to do
    Cutting Larger Intake Return holes in your Intex

17. Back To Top    #17

I didn't see any bubbles or air pockets and he used half a tube of the glue....lol. I put it on a couple of stacked flat pavers to keep it out of the grass then stacked 3 more on top of it to make sure it got a good seal. I am going to let it cure for the 24 hours per the instructions then check it. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Hopefully I will be able to move on and cut the larger hole for the intake.
    Mulia thank you for helping me and providing the link to cutting the intake larger. This is only my second year having a pool so I am learning step by step and am sure I will have lots of other questions to ask.

18. Back To Top    #18

Smile Re: Please help me with the new intex liner. What to do with the 3rd hole????????

no problem
    have a restful night!