Algae?? - Help

Rusty204

Bronze Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
Cynthiana KY
Greetings: Been busy with work and perhaps not paying as close attention as I should - though haven't been home during daylight hours until today.

Had noticed last week, water was a bit cloudy - chemicals were all within normal ranges - backwashed and evidence of 'dirt' cleared and rinsed.
vacuuming daily with Dolphin Edge
Water remained cloudy + 1gal bleach about 4 days ago.

Water still a bit cloudy - can see bottom but not sure if quarter was on bottom if I could tell heads or tail.

Today - water remains cloudy and did notice tonight - 'film' on sides of deep end and bottom - when brushing it appears green.

my numbers tonight (TFT 100)
PH 7.8
FC 6PPM
CC 0
TA 80
CYA looks to be about 80

any thoughts, ideas or guidance appreciated -
I've done the signature thing, but can't see it on this post so would offer
~23k SWG (Aqua Rite) - free form vinyl - salt level showing 3100
Hayward filter - been running past 36hrs -

have had considerable rain past week (little past 24hrs) hot and humid weather

thanks,
Rusty204

Hello Rusty! :wave: From all indications you appear to have algae there. That would mean you need to "SLAM" (link below). A CYA of 80 equates to a SLAM FC level of "31". BEFORE raising the FC however, make sure to lower your pH first to about 7.2. Once confirmed, then increase the FC to SLAM level and maintain it along with all the other SLAM tasks on that page. Use regular bleach to maintain that "31" and give your SWG a break unless you are away from home with no one to assist with bleach additions. Jump on it now and try to maintain the FC as best as you can for best results. Good luck!

Aside from cost, is there a detriment to using cal-hypo shock instead of bleach?
As long as one's CH level can accommodate the rise in calcium, yes, it's okay. But generally speaking, for a SLAM that can last anywhere from a few days to a week or two for some pools, liquid bleach is simply more efficient.

Hi there

Cal-hypo will add calcium to your water. You didn't post your CH but if it's already low then you shouldn't have to worry, particularly with a vinyl pool. The key is understand what you are adding and why. Cal-hypo "can" cloud the water also.

With a CYA of 80, and the amount of chlorine you need to SLAM I'm guessing you'd rather use the cal-hypo over bleach for convenience? I've been there :)

Thanks Pat
Lowered PH and just begun slamming - and hopeful i've gotten started ahead of it getting worse
Water is not yet 'green' and the organic matter isn't accumulated thickly - and would be described as a thin film.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.