Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results after ascorbic acid treatment (and one extra stain Q)

1. Back To Top    #1

Test results after ascorbic acid treatment (and one extra stain Q)

Hi. We've had our pool for about a year. Over the last few weeks we started getting brown stains. After testing with Vitamin C, we knew it needed an ascorbic acid treatment which worked perfectly (on 7/5). We followed it with a chelator the next day.

Today we tested the water and here are our results. What do we need to do next?

Pool is 8000 gallon free-form, gunite, has a SWG and sand filter.

Ascorbic Acid treatment on 7/5
    Chelator 7/6

Tested water 7/7
    Cl- 1
    PH- 7-7.2
    Alk-70 ppm
    Total Hardness 150ppm
    CYA: under 30 (that's the lowest our test would read)

This is our stain before, gone now.
    uploadfromtaptalk1467933247673.jpg

And, what are these white spots? They were there after the initial plaster job, then we had it acid washed in the spring and they were gone...and now they are back. The bottom of the pool is streaky with them, too.
    uploadfromtaptalk1467933441021.jpg

8000 gallon, finished 6/15, IG, Plaster (Diamond Brite Midnight Blue), Sand Filter, Pentair, HTH 6 way test kit, SWG, filled with city water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test results after ascorbic acid treatment (and one extra stain Q)

I would raise CYA to 70 or 80 and keep FC above minimum at all times to avoid algae and having to SLAM which will likely bring the stains right back. FC/CYA Chart

You need to raise CH to 250 ppm also.

Have you read this? Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

You can add your pool info to your sig as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are pics of the pool tonight. The water LOOKS good (maybe the tiniest bit cloudy)...but it looked good when we got the staining, too.
    uploadfromtaptalk1467934671648.jpg

8000 gallon, finished 6/15, IG, Plaster (Diamond Brite Midnight Blue), Sand Filter, Pentair, HTH 6 way test kit, SWG, filled with city water

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I would raise CYA to 70 or 80 and keep FC above minimum at all times to avoid algae and having to SLAM which will likely bring the stains right back. FC/CYA Chart

You need to raise CH to 250 ppm also.

Have you read this? Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

You can add your pool info to your sig as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    Thanks for your response. Yes, I read and followed that thread for my AA treatment. Just trying to get the next steps right.

I also added my pool info to my siggy.