Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing Testing Time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing Testing Time?

Hi Everyone,
    I've been using the TFP method for about a month+ and so far so good. I've been testing and adding my bleach at just about the same time every morning. We are currently in a heat wave and my pool has direct sun all day. I'm thinking about the rest of the summer as I seem to loose about 2-2.5ppm of FC everyday. I'm wondering if it would be better to test and add chemicals later in the day? My pump goes off at 6pm so my question is, if I test and add around 430-5pm is the hour or so enough to circulate the bleach and would it be ok sitting without the pump running from 6pm to 8:30am? Thanks in advance.
    14k Gallon, Above Ground
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Union, NJ
    Sun All Day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing Testing Time?

that should be fine and it's what I do.

30 min should suffice but I like the pump to run at least 1 hour after adding.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

I usually test every evening at about sundown. Running the pump for 30 minutes after adding chlorine is sufficient, especially if you are adding slowly as recommended and perhaps even brushing the pool below the return you added in front of.

Here is a logical reason to test and dose later in the day. If you test in the morning, you raise your FC in the morning, then at the end of the day your FC is at it's lowest over night. If you dose in the evening, your FC is at its highest overnight. At night, your sun is not losing FC to UV from the sun. So if you were to test your FC every hour of the day, instead of your FC being constantly low all night, it would be high all night. Without changing any dosing amounts, your average daily FC increases. You also have the rationale that if the FC is bumped up at night, any organics that were introduced during the day are free to be attacked by your highest chlorine levels without being lost to the sun, all night long.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the advice. I will start giving this a shot. If I need to add anything to raise or lower ph should that be at the same time as well, or should I test and add in the morning?
    14k Gallon, Above Ground
    Sand Filter
    Taylor K-2006
    Union, NJ
    Sun All Day

5. Back To Top    #5

PH can be adjusted anytime. Keep it between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach