Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool maintenance while out of town

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool maintenance while out of town

My CYA is sitting at about 75 right now. If we plan on heading out of town for about a week, is it better to use the pucks or pour enough chlorine in the pool to account for daily loss throughout that week? I don't want to add pucks if it will make my CYA go up too much. Temps here will probably be upper 90s to 100s. I normally keep FC at about 8.
    Pool finished in March 2016, 25k gal, white plaster IG pool, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Pressure Cleaner with Pentair Booster Pump, Natural rock waterfall with Pentair Waterfall specialty pump, Spa: Mastertemp 400 High Performance Heater, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool maintenance while out of town

I think standard pucks have CYA, you would have to read the package. Do you know anyone who can add chlorine once a day?
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, pucks will indeed increase CYA - about 6-9 ppm per puck depending on the type. If you have a pool cover that helps a lot. If not, you can take the pool-up to SLAM level just before leaving. That should get you to about 3-4 days perhaps. Ideally I agree, if someone could swing by and just pour a gallon in the water once a day or two that would be nice. They could also check your skimmer to make sure nothing is plugging-up suction to your pump.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Same thing. Should we cover the pool too?
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by VinDeeLoo View Post
    Same thing. Should we cover the pool too?
    If you can it will help keep bleach and water from burning off. If your CYA level is normal then you could throw some pucks in a floater and let it do it's thing.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks!!!!!
    VinDeeLoo
    7600 gallons ~ AG ~ Summer Waves Cartridge C Filter ~ using pump that came with our Summer Waves 18 x 48 pool ~ Taylor K-2006 (SpeedStir & Sample Sizer) ~ no well water or water restrictions