Light Fixture wire sealant to fixture?

Jul 2, 2016
Rancho, CA
I have a Pentair Amerilite fixture that is leaking. I am changing out the gasket and replacing with a costly LED light.
Im worried that this fixture is leaking also from the wire going to the back of the fixture, as I have read this is common on these fixtures, but not sure if it is.
I dont want the leak coming from there and destroying a $$ LED bulb.

I tried to seal with 100% GE Silicone I but its not ahering to the plastic wire well.
So I was wondering if you guys can recommend a brand/model of a good sealant to use for salt water pool Pentair fixture, just as a precaution.
Hopefully someone can chime in....The fixture is about 11 years old and I have a salt water pool.

If I read you correctly, you are concerned about waterproofing the hole where the light fixture wire exits the niche and goes into the pvc pipe.

That junction is not meant to be waterproof and stays flooded all the time.

If I read you correctly, you are concerned about waterproofing the hole where the light fixture wire exits the niche and goes into the pvc pipe.

That junction is not meant to be waterproof and stays flooded all the time.

Hi, No - referring to the wire that goes to the Pentair Light Fixture on the back of the metal casing. I read that is can be a source of water entering into the light fixture, along with the gasket.

So I was thinking about sealing the back metal on the fixture where the wire goes into the Pentair fixture. Just need advice on that is a good sealant to use.

Also, how tight are you suppose to tighten the "U" wire that secures the gasket and light cover? Ive read from snug to as tight as the bolt will allow you to tighten it.

Check out this thread. Amerilite Pool Light Leaks. A Fix and what I've learned

I used some of the G Flex epoxy on my light at the wire connection in the back and it worked for about a month. I only did a single application inside the light attachment nut and around the outside of it. I'm planning a further application, like the cardboard mould detailed in the thread.

Thanks for the link- the picture is exactly what I want to do- I just silicone but Im afraid it will separate after. Where do you get the G Epoxy? Looks like there are different models. Any recommendation?

I wanted to give an update on this issue. As I was researching for the Epoxy suggestion (which was a great idea) from Marine Shops around my area who carried them. West Marine seems to carry alot of Sealants and glues including this epoxy.
When I explained my problem, they recommended the 3M 5200 Sealant Fast Cure Sealant instead. This stuff is flexible and very durable and MESSY to use. It just cured and it is very sealed and flexible too.
Ill be putting into my pool over the weekend and will give an update on how well it works but I guess the 3M is the stuff the Marine Boat shops use all the time for leaks and seals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.