Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused by free/ combined chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused by free/ combined chlorine

I'm a new pool owner and am using the taylor2006 test kit. My numbers are: free chlorine 3.2ppm, combined chlorine 0.2, 7.4 alkalinity 90ppm cya40ppm.
    I'm clueless as to what the chlorine level should be but thought the free should be 0 not combined. Could someone please let me know. Thank you!
    Above ground vinyl liner,18x54 , 1.5hp jacuzzi brand sand filter/pump. Not sure on gallons (7600?) Built new June 2016. Taylor 2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Confused by free/ combined chlorine

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us.

You should give the following link a thorough reading. It will help you to understand that your FC level needed varies based on your CYA level.

abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

There is a link to an FC / CYA chart on that page which is a cornerstone concept.

Please ask questions after reading through the information.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, judging by your FC results, you're using the Taylor 25ml sample size right? Instead, try the 10 ml sample:
    10ml water sample, one heaping scoop of powder, multiply drop count by 0.5 (basically divide by 2)
    Example: Total # of drops until clear was 12 = FC of 6. Should save you on some reagents.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks very much for that tip! So thankful for this site going to read some ��
    Above ground vinyl liner,18x54 , 1.5hp jacuzzi brand sand filter/pump. Not sure on gallons (7600?) Built new June 2016. Taylor 2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Let us know if you need any more clarification!

Just in case you missed the link in the reading above, here it is straight out:
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart