Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to add acid to holding tank/intelli chem

1. Back To Top    #1

How to add acid to holding tank/intelli chem

I really don't like handling muratic acid, but the house we just bought has a Pentair acid pump/intelli chem.

I assume, I just open the lid and pour in the bottle of muratic acid? Do I turn the Inteli Chemi pump off first? How?

I googled instructions Pentairs website "To refill acid canister: refill the canister by carefully and slowly tilting the tip the canister into the acid tank then push down to puncture the foil. To speed up acid dispersal into tank, use sharp object to puncture the bottom of the gallon of acid"

Pictures would be great.

Thanks
    15,000, IG, Gunite, Spa, Waterfalls, Cartridge filter, 2 Pentair Pump, Pentair Intelli Chem Acid pump, Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump, Ultra Pure, Chlorine, Taylor Test

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How to add acid to holding tank/intelli chem

Main suggestion I can make is don't puncture the foil. If you do it that way you can end up with an irregular opening that can lead to splashing or leaking down the side as you pour. The foil can be a pain to get off I find if I remove it slowly and slightly twist the pull tab I can usually get it all in one piece. I also don't puncture the bottom I have thought about doing that but you have to have it tilted and already pouring to do that and to me that is just a recipe for it to slip out of my hands and end up all over the place. Remove the foil completely and pour slow so air can enter as the liquid comes out and you will be fine I have done dozens of gallons and never had a spill or uncontrolled splash.

If you do have to puncture the foil don't use a knife you care about just a drop of the stuff will etch metal fairly quickly.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I just take a big breath and dump two gallons in at a time. I use the HASA acid so there is no puncturing the jugs (they get reused) and no foil to deal with.

My canister is indoors so the quicker I get it filled, the better.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

4. Back To Top    #4

My canister has some plastic teeth in it, I set the gallon of acid in it top down with the lid off, push down, it breaks the foil and holds the acid container, I then cut a small hole in the bottom of the acid container and it just flows right in
    10,700 gal IG, Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue), Intelliflow VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Paramount Clear 03 Ozonator, Intellichem (controlling acid only), Easy Touch 4, InFloor popup cleaners x 14, 4' Sheer Descent water feature. K-2006 Testkit, Taylor k1766 test kit, and speedstir.

5. Back To Top    #5

For safety wear gloves , long sleeve shirt, and eye protection. You will know if it splashes on you when the burn starts.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8