pros and cons of round v oval

Jul 6, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
We are just about to take the plunge for an above ground pool and it is overwhelming! We wanted oval but a review by some contractor (I don't remember where) says round is better. We are going to put it up ourselves as we have built just about everything on our land and just wanted to know if there is a general consensus about round or oval and any favorite brands of anyone? Thank you all so much. This forum is such a help to us newbies:D

A round pool will be cheaper to buy and install, and it will have more sqft of floor space compared to its oval counterpart. Most people say if you have the space for a round pool go with round for those reasons.

An oval pool costs more to buy and install because of all the extra framing and parts that go into the strait wall sections. An oval pool is much less forgiving to any installation errors. What long walls must be perfectly square and level to each other and that can be tricky. If your pool builder doesn't "like" ovals I wouldn't suggest buying one from them and looking into another builder that has a better opinion about them. One nice thing about an oval pool is its much easier to build a deck up to it because of the strait wall sections you don't need to match the deck to the radius of your pool.

Then there is the subjective if the price difference doesn't bother you, and you can fit either type of pool, pick which ever shape looks better to you. I have an oval pool because my landscape limited what I could fit. I think if given the option I would put up an oval (only another size or two bigger) because I like the way it looks better than a round pool. That is purely my opinion tho you need to buy what looks best to you and your budget.

Personally, I've never been a fan of round pools or above ground pools, and now that's exactly what I have and I'm really enjoying it.:D

The only ways I can see oval being better are: 1), it fits the space you have available to put a pool (long & narrow) 2). you like to swim laps 3). you want a deep end 4). you want separate adult & kid spaces.

I had an oval-ish (13x29 rectangle with semi-circles on each end, 3ft - 5.5ft) in ground pool at my last house, and now I have a cheap round above ground pool at my lil house. I don't miss the shape of the other pool, just the features (walk-in steps, swim bench, sitting on the edge and dangling feet in, jacuzzi jets in the swim bench after a long day at work, and just the over-all look of it).

But, as all I do is float and sip sangria, the round pool is perfect. I only had 13 feet across one way to float, and now I've got 18ft before I hit a side.

We're newbies, too. Available near-level yard space, and the desire to have as big a pool as possible led us to choose oval. We erected the oval ourselves. I imagine erecting a round would have been much easier because complex supports were required for the straight sides of the oval.

20160519_183128.jpg

But we are very glad we went to the extra work to maximize the pool's footprint :)

20160627_165251.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.