Help with the next step

Jul 7, 2016
Grand Forks, ND
Hello, We are new to posting, but not new to creeping and reading TFP's advice. I hope someone can help.
We had an algae outbreak a couple of weeks ago and still trying to get back to beautiful water. I used the SLAM method and it worked...only to have the algae problem come back. We did a complete test using our kit and found that our CYA had crept up to 80-90. We are trying to convert to the BBB method and have been avoiding draining and refilling since last summer's season. Knowing that we couldn't avoid it any longer, we drained 50% of the pool last night and used the city water hydrant to fill it back up. The water is pretty clear (not crystal...yet) I can see the bottom of the deep end just fine. We added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine to bring it up to shock and went to bed. This morning the chlorine tested at 11, we put another gallon of chlorine in it. I went out and ran all of the tests this afternoon:

FC:12.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.6
TA: 60
CH: 120
CYA: 40

I added another gallon of chlorine to it and will test it again tonight. I am wondering if we need to worry about our TA and CH? They are both on the low end.
Thanks!

Just to be clear, you are testing and adding enough to get you to your SLAM target, right? Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Not just blindly adding 1 or 2 gallons .... randomly. I understand not wanting to measure say 13oz, but at least go by 1/3 bottle increments.

To answer your question, no you don't need to worry about either of those until your SLAM is complete.

TA is actually fine many run that low CH not a problem for a Vinyl pool so you are good there. Since your last SLAM did not stick I would re read just to be sure you are following all the steps, one of the main reasons for a SLAM not working, is not being diligent about the Maintain step. The other reason could be some hidden algae somewhere like light niche.

Last edited:
Yes, we are testing and adding. I have the chlorine/cya chart printed out and next to the test kit. Thanks for double checking though!

- - - Updated - - -

I am certain that we did not maintain. Our CYA was up high and we couldn't keep enough chlorine in the thing. We made a few other mistakes in trying to hurry the process along as well...lesson learned. :p We will be taking it slowly and staying out of the pool store. ;)
Thanks for the answer!

It's really good to hear that you figured out the importance of a partial drain through your research here. Sounds like you have the water chemistry well in hand as well. Good stuff!

Sounds like the MMMaintain part, but could also be brushing which scalps the biofilm over the algae so they fully taste the active chlorine.

There's other weird reasons for a SLAM to be difficult - already mentioned is hiding places. Really look for those. Anything that can be taken out and scrubbed should be done, back of the skimmer weir(s), wedding cake steps, under ladder steps, etc. can all be algae farms because of poor circulation.

Also any outside sources like runoff water, dog jumping in, duck poo, etc. can cause trouble.

You are maintaining an FC level of 16, correct?

Check your light niches if you have incandescent lights, steps, behind the weirs in your skimmer, everywhere for hidden spots. Even if you don't see visible algae, scrub them. A toothbrush works wonders in small areas.

It's really good to hear that you figured out the importance of a partial drain through your research here. Sounds like you have the water chemistry well in hand as well. Good stuff!

Sounds like the MMMaintain part, but could also be brushing which scalps the biofilm over the algae so they fully taste the active chlorine.

There's other weird reasons for a SLAM to be difficult - already mentioned is hiding places. Really look for those. Anything that can be taken out and scrubbed should be done, back of the skimmer weir(s), wedding cake steps, under ladder steps, etc. can all be algae farms because of poor circulation.

Also any outside sources like runoff water, dog jumping in, duck poo, etc. can cause trouble.

I spent this morning scrubbing away! The dolphin is in now. We do have a new pup that loves the pool...that is something that has changed since the previous years. Are there any precautions we should be taking as far as balancing goes? We are working on training him to stay out on our command, but that is proving to be harder than we thought. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are maintaining an FC level of 16, correct?

Check your light niches if you have incandescent lights, steps, behind the weirs in your skimmer, everywhere for hidden spots. Even if you don't see visible algae, scrub them. A toothbrush works wonders in small areas.

Yes, I am maintaining a FC of 16. We had a cloudy day here yesterday so that helped a bit. Added chlorine before bed and it was at 12.5 this morning. I added more to get it back to 16 and will check it again now during lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best way to speed up a SLAM is to test as often as possibly, even hourly, and bring that FC up to SLAM level again and again as the chlorine is depleted killing algae. Those are the SLAMs that go the fastest. If you're only testing a couple times a day it will drag it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.