Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Finally found a stain and scale properly labelled

1. Back To Top    #1

Burlington, ON, Canada

Finally found a stain and scale properly labelled

There are many pool stores in my area, all carrying different brands of stain and scale control. I can tell immediately, if the product is phosphonic acid / etidronic acid as the metal stains on my white stairs disappear within minutes as opposed to the non phosphonic (usuallly labelled phosphate free or touting 'biodegradable' on the label) where the stains remain. These ones may bind up the metal in my water, but do nothing for existing stains, and don't seem to list the active ingredients. I had been using Sani Marc 3-Met-0 and it definitely does not remove existing stains.

It was refreshing to find a brand where the bottle was clearly labelled with the active chemical. Unfortunately, this brand does not appear to be available in the US (I'm in Canada), however, there seems to be more choice of sequestrants in the US to choose from (for example, I've never been able to find any kind of Jack's up here).

The brand I found is Omni and after calling the toll free number (also conveniently located on the bottle), it appears that they also produce a similar product under the Bio Guard name.

Just a heads up for anyone specifically looking for a sequestrant that is Phosphonic Acid based.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Finally found a stain and scale properly labelled

Great find for metals in a pool up north
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **