identlfied the leak - but can't stop it. all ideas welcome!

dody

Jun 27, 2015
jenks, ok
so, we've got bubbles. didn't take long to find the source of the problem. (mind you, this has been going on since we opened the pool, it just wasn't high up on my husband's list of things to do). so now that he's out of town, i'm looking into it. the leak (a very steady drip drip drip) is coming from the junction of the hose going into the pump.
poolleak.jpg
i've replaced the hose clamp with a new one, and I can't get the drip to stop. i've tightened it down as far as i can get it for an middle age woman. if it gets any tighter, i may not be able to get it off when it's time to clean the pump/filter etc.....(already a problem as my "he-man" husband cleaned everything last, and now the return inlet elbow is on so tight, i can't cap it to clean anything)

this is the same hose/pump set up that we've had for a couple of years now, and we've not had this problem until this year. i can get my neighbor (hearty young man!) to come over and screw that clamp down some more, but i'm wondering if there are any other solutions that might make it easier for ME to get it on/off while still preventing air into the pump.

thanks in advance for listening to me ramble, and for providing any thoughts. ;)

I can think of three things:

-use a second clamp (we always had two on our black poly)
-make sure that elbow has correct black poly nipple and is not cracked
-cut hose back 2 or 3 in. and redo.

End of elbow should look like this:

poly-combination-nipple-2-npt-thread-x-1-12-hose-barb.jpg

i'm almost 100 % certain that the end of the elbow is smooth. that's how i remember them being, anyway. until i can get the inlet elbow off, i can't do anything, and i'm still working on that. maybe i should get neighbor boy to do that for me. ;)

but i've got a 2nd clamp, and i'll go put that one and see if it helps. thanks!

Update-

2nd clamp when tightened not only did nothing to stop the leak from the backside, it actually started leaking from the front side of the elbow/hose as well. :(

Dody,

First verify if the leak is coming from the outer wall of the hose, the inner wall(leak appears around the edge of the hose-PVC fitting, or is it the PVC elbow.

Wipe it down with a rag, run the pump, use a tissue/paper towel to check for the leak. Start about 3" above the clamp and work your way down the hose and PVC elbow until you find the leak.

If the hose is old, dried & brittle ... no amount of clamp pressure is going to help. If you tighten the clamp too much you might damage the PVC elbow. Best course of action is to remove the clamp inspect the hose and PVC elbow. If the hose is damaged, has deep clamp marks, stretched out / doesn't fit snug around the PVC elbow ... replace it.

If the hose looks good - then there might be a hairline crack in the PVC elbow - replace the elbow.

If the leak is at the base of the PVC elbow - replace the elbow.

If you have to replace the elbow - use the pump manual or go on-line to the manufacture to identify the part.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

thanks, cnj! - the water drips literally from the inside of the hose where the hose and elbow meet. so, i'm thinking i'm gonna go get a new hose AND a new elbow. might just as well make sure i've got it covered, and it's not like we won't eventually need those parts anyway.

she's a 17 year old pool.....and they've all been replaced once, it's likely time to do it again.

girl power!!! much to my husband's pleasure, i fixed it all by myself. (well, i did have to have neighbor boy/man come over and muscle the inlet elbow off) i got both a new elbow and hose, put them both on and ta-da! pool is pumping to beat the band. no air pockets in the pump nor champagne bubbles in the pool. my husband was so impressed, he promised the pool girl a raise. lol. thanks all for the input! - dody ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.