10% pool bleach at Wal-Mart - Was it worth it?

I saw this 10% at WM and bought it. That is what I started the summer on. Once we started swimming the family was saying that their skin felt dry. I checked PH, chlorine, and TA levels and all where right in line. The bleach source was the only thing different. I used up what I had and went back to the usual 8.25 that we have been using. All complaints went away. Doesn't seem like it should have made a difference - I am staying with the 8.25%. The water looks great and everyone is happy.
Now that's interesting. I've been fighting eye stinging all season long. I got it mostly taken care of with salt and borates added to the pool, but my eyes still bother me a tad. I'm sensitive, and I swim underwater a lot with my eyes open. I've also been using the 10% walmart liquid chlorine. I've still got about 8 gallons of it, but since they raised the price back up on me here in my area to 3.64 or something, I'm going to change my source. It will be interesting to see if my eyes feel better.

Now that's interesting. I've been fighting eye stinging all season long. I got it mostly taken care of with salt and borates added to the pool, but my eyes still bother me a tad. I'm sensitive, and I swim underwater a lot with my eyes open. I've also been using the 10% walmart liquid chlorine. I've still got about 8 gallons of it, but since they raised the price back up on me here in my area to 3.64 or something, I'm going to change my source. It will be interesting to see if my eyes feel better.

I have noticed that my eyes have bothered me a bit as well.

I think i will go with 12.5 percent jugs of LC for a bit and see also.

I have noticed that my eyes have bothered me a bit as well.

I think i will go with 12.5 percent jugs of LC for a bit and see also.

I didn't have time to mess with it last night, but I'm hoping today to vacuum out the chlorine that is still in my stenner storage tank and replace it with some 8.3% clorox I got at Sam's yesterday. It'll degrade slower out in the heat, and I'm hoping I'll find my water my comfortable too. Rest assured I'll be posting about it here and anywhere else if I do see a difference.

If this turns out to be my problem, it's kind of disappointing. I started the TFP method with this walmart stuff, and from the beginning have had this problem. I posted here on the forum about it, fearing that this was just the result of using chlorine, no matter what the form. But I added salt, and then borax and the problem seemed to be better, though not totally gone. And in hindsight it does seem like it was worse when chlorine levels were higher. If things get better with clorox, I'm going to return all my unopened bottles of walmart chlorine without a receipt and get store credit at their higher price.

You guys with eye issues, sounds like you need to get your PH in check with acid or soda to be in line with the human eyeball (7.4-7.6)

Thanks, but my ph has been stable at 7.5 since I opened my pool this year except for the time I did the aeration to lower my TA in preparation for adding borates.

Trust me, I've been through every "eye issue" solution in the book. It is the ONLY reason I got talked into adding salt to my pool. It's not the only reason I added borates, but it was one of them. I'm about positive it's this dang chlorine at this point. I intend on proving it, if only for myself. If I prove myself wrong, I'll surely come back here and eat my words.

Thanks, but my ph has been stable at 7.5 since I opened my pool this year except for the time I did the aeration to lower my TA in preparation for adding borates.

Trust me, I've been through every "eye issue" solution in the book. It is the ONLY reason I got talked into adding salt to my pool. It's not the only reason I added borates, but it was one of them. I'm about positive it's this dang chlorine at this point. I intend on proving it, if only for myself. If I prove myself wrong, I'll surely come back here and eat my words.

Too Little Chlorine??? Any CC's. I have no issues and I use Wal Mart stuff.

Does anybody have a photo or link or image of this 10% bleach they keep seeing at walmart? I can't seem to find the thing and I have no clue what the bottle looks like.

Too Little Chlorine??? Any CC's. I have no issues and I use Wal Mart stuff.

Nope. I've had zero CC every time I test ever since my initial SLAM at opening (which in hindsight, probably wasn't even necessary). My CYA is currently 30ppm and my FC level is rarely above 5ppm, 6 sometimes. But I seem to have the problem almost always. I have 3000ppm salt, and 45ppm borates in the pool currently, pH 7.5, and I have no problems with dry skin. And my eye irritation has improved quite a bit since before I had either salt or borates in the pool, but my eyes still feel pretty dry when I get out.

One other problem may be that I like to swim laps underwater back and forth as fast as I can, with my eyes open. It is entirely possible that it is just my eyes being sensitive to the rush of moisture. However, I'm switching chlorine brands to be sure.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it yet. But I've seen others say it made their skin feel dry, and I'm willing to experiment to find out.

I disabled the timer on my stenner, and am going to manually dose with clorox for a few days. We'll see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does anybody have a photo or link or image of this 10% bleach they keep seeing at walmart? I can't seem to find the thing and I have no clue what the bottle looks like.

3rd post on page 1 of this thread has pictures.

My pH is fine too. As a matter of fact the first time i noticed it i pulled my kit out shortly thereafter and tested the pH (thanks TFP!).

I certainly could be imagining it. I have used the bleach from Walmart many times with no issues over the years.

My pH is fine too. As a matter of fact the first time i noticed it i pulled my kit out shortly thereafter and tested the pH (thanks TFP!).

I certainly could be imagining it. I have used the bleach from Walmart many times with no issues over the years.

have you been using the household 8.25% great value bleach previously? or the liquid chlorine 10% from the pool section? We moved into our house last October, and closed the pool almost immediately. So I've used the walmart liquid chlorine from day one. I've never even tried the 8.25% stuff, thinking I preferred a higher concentration. In hindsight, due to degradation, I think I will prefer 8.25%. But if it makes me eyes feel better, I won't buy the stuff ever again. I don't know what could be in it that would cause this, but I trust walmart very little.

i swear I am not that blind...

I just want to come back to this thread to say that I do NOT think the walmart chlorine was causing any issues with eyes or dry skin for me. I've been using clorox for the last 4 or 5 days, and I'm not seeing any difference. In fact, I think it may be worse. But, reading more about swimming with eyes open in the water, I think it may just be something that happens no matter how well balanced your water is if you are going to swim laps underwater with your eyes open the whole time. Something about osmotic pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.