Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10% pool bleach at Wal-Mart - Was it worth it?

1. Back To Top    #1

10% pool bleach at Wal-Mart - Was it worth it?

So, normally I get the concentrated WM brand of bleach that is rated at 8.25%. Our WalMarts recently started carrying 10% bleach in the pool section. Normally I'm dubious of the supplies in the pool section, knowing they are marked up to the unwary shopper. The bottle was $ 3.64 compared to $2.57. So, I did the math.

The 8.25% comes in 121 oz at $2.57 a bottle. 121 x .0825 = 9.99 oz available chlorine. $2.57 / 9.99oz = 26 cents per oz.

The 10% comes in 128 oz, so 128 x .10 = 12.80 oz of available chlorine. $3.64 / 12.80 oz = 29 cents per oz.

So today, the 8.25 bottle wins out, but that price was a rollback, it has been going for $2.98, which ups your unit price to 30 cents.

The difference is pretty negligible, so it's a matter of preference. Do you want to save a couple cents per bottle, or use less product and a few less bottles in your supply closet? I went with 4 bottles of 10%. Of course, this all presumes the label is accurate, both the strength of the bleach, and the amount in the bottle.

Caveat emptor!
    14,000 gallon Fox Lagoon, ingound vinyl
    PacFab Sand filter
    installed April, 2002
    Frog inline chlorinator
    Town water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 10% pool bleach at Wal-Mart - Was it worth it?

Earlier in the season Wallyworld was offering that 10% liquid chlorine for a lower price of $2.50 so that it actually beat out the 8.25% stuff. The price went up later.

Check out this thread: 2016 bleach prices
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

I posted this in the 2016 bleach prices thread, but Walmart here in NC just lowered the price back to $2.50. Hopefully it gets lowered where you are soon as well. Here's a pic from earlier today:

IMG_0597.jpg
    32 X16 Vinyl 20,000 gallon in-ground, Hayward S244T2 Sand Filter, Ecotech EZ Variable Speed 1.5 hp pump motor. TF-100 test kit.

https://www.mebanepressurewashing.com

4. Back To Top    #4

I saw the 10% at $2.50 in NH on Tuesday too.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Check the local Menards if you have one. They are running $1.99 for 12.5% in a lot of locations.
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Just purchased 15 gallons at WalMart a few nights ago for $2.50 a bottle. They had the stuff on a skid, I'm wondering if they're trying to clear inventory for the end of the season, which is crazy because summer officially started a few weeks ago..
    In-ground 15x30 concrete pool with vinyl liner
    Triton II sand filter, Hayward Pump, Raypak 266 heater
    Rehab thread: Pool rehab, need advice

7. Back To Top    #7

I get it in Albany, NY area for $2.50.

You just want to make sure to check the label / date. Last ones i got were dated day 156 or so. Some of the older ones went back to 117.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

8. Back To Top    #8

That same exact liquid chlorine at our Walmart is $3.64, I just bought some yesterday.
    Sahara 24' x 52" AG/13,593 gallons Zeo Sand filter with Nature 2 System, Hayward 1.5 hp pump filled with city water
    Date of pool install 6/28/2016 Taylor k-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ntobik View Post
    Just purchased 15 gallons at WalMart a few nights ago for $2.50 a bottle. They had the stuff on a skid, I'm wondering if they're trying to clear inventory for the end of the season, which is crazy because summer officially started a few weeks ago..

Mine me in New Hartford NY just replenished stock.
    Only 7 days old according to Julian date code
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

It's $2.50 in my area but can't find it in stock.
    *NEWBIE* 15,000 Gallon Gunite, Infinity Edge Spa, Weeping Wall, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit , Jandy CL580, Hayward 2HP Pump, Polaris 280 w/ Booster Pump

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by DerekHayden View Post
    It's $2.50 in my area but can't find it in stock.
    Apparently you have to go in person, the website inventory count is not correct many folks here have reported.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

I didn't even think to pass by the pool section for bleach at walmart.....I always go straight to the laundry section.....I guess I will pass by tomorrow and check it out.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool Chlorinating liquid has been $2.50 per gallon at the local wal-mart since the day it hit the shelves.

I went there to get bleach, already had it in my cart and seen the chlorinating liquid as I walked past the pool stuff heading to the garden center. I noticed it right off because it hadn't been there before, read the label and saw it was 10% so I loaded up several gallons and headed back to the laundry aisle to unload the bleach. The Great Value concentrated 8.25% bleach was and still is priced at $3.94 per gallon.

Definitely have to go in person, the online store has continually shown that my store is out of stock. I was just there and the shelves were full.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow, dssmith99. Even Kroger's doesn't charge $3.94 for 8.25%!! That's a ripoff. I wonder if they don't have a pricing error in their computer and have the bottles crossed.
    14,000 gallon Fox Lagoon, ingound vinyl
    PacFab Sand filter
    installed April, 2002
    Frog inline chlorinator
    Town water

15. Back To Top    #15

The wife just got back from Walmart... the 10% was at 3.68... guess they didn't get the memo.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, spoke too soon. Just stopped at Wal-mart to get some oil and the chlorinating liquid has gone up to $3.64 now, they were restocking the shelves with cases of the stuff. Online site yet again shows "not in stock" but also still shows $2.50 per gallon. Online store has bleach at $3.09 for 121oz, didn't walk all the way back there to look. Still seemed plenty high priced to me. Got about 20 gallons of 10 and 12.5 so using 2 gallon a week I'm probably good to mid Sept.
    AGP 24' x 54" approx 14000 gal Full sun all day, Hayward 1.5 HP and EC50 D.E. filter
    Stenner 45MPHP10 10 gal/day fixed rate with intermatic ET1125C timer
    Dolphin E10 robotic cleaner, 330 gallon Tiger River Spa, Taylor K-2006C test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

How do you know how much liquid bleach to add?
    My pool is an IG vinyl around 30K. It has a sand filter w/superflow pump.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rickie59 View Post
    How do you know how much liquid bleach to add?
    PoolMath link at the top of the page will do all the calculations for you just put your pool volume in and current readings and target. From there you can do as many have and just make yourself a chart specific to your pool for each type of chemical. Some thing like X oz of chlorine increases FC by 0.5ppm X oz of MA decreases pH by 0.1 and so on.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

19. Back To Top    #19

I saw this 10% at WM and bought it. That is what I started the summer on. Once we started swimming the family was saying that their skin felt dry. I checked PH, chlorine, and TA levels and all where right in line. The bleach source was the only thing different. I used up what I had and went back to the usual 8.25 that we have been using. All complaints went away. Doesn't seem like it should have made a difference - I am staying with the 8.25%. The water looks great and everyone is happy.
    12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

20. Back To Top    #20

picked up some of this last week to start getting my pool in order. I only grabbed about 3 gallons to start. I plan to head back and get some more to stock up on while the price is cheap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast