Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: white spots in blue plaster pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy white spots in blue plaster pool

My pool is about 18 months old now, and is forming white spots that are concerning me.

spotsinpool.jpg

I have done some research on this, but there seem to be several possible causes so I'm looking for more experienced advice on how to combat this issue before it gets worse, and hopefully reverse it.
    10k gal IG w/ salt system, spa, gas heater, and auto cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: white spots in blue plaster pool

Add your location, city AND state to your profile so it shows up over there <----. Sorry for all caps but an amazing number of people only add their city and not their state, which often doesn't help.

Update your signature to show what type of pool finish you have and when it was completed. ie, pebbetec, quartscapes, plaster, etc

Give us the last few sets of test results and how you got them.

More info here on what we need to better help you, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a plaster pool with a saltwater generator.

pH 7.2
    Cl 1.5 ppm

(these two change every few days, I add acid and bleach regularly to supplement the SWG during hot periods or extra swimmer load)

TA 70
    CH is always a strange test for me, it never "turns blue" but the precipitation gets a bit blueish around 750
    CYA ~20

TF-100 test kit

I have an autocover if it matters.
    10k gal IG w/ salt system, spa, gas heater, and auto cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

More here on the CH test, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

If your pH spends a fair amount of time above 7.8 then it could be calcium scale. Are the spots rough-and-tumble raised? More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

There are a couple of other possibilities here, Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems

Your CYA is lower than we recommend for a saltwater pool. More here, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach