Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Having to use 48 to 72 oz. of liquid chlorine a day

1. Back To Top    #1

Having to use 48 to 72 oz. of liquid chlorine a day

I'm still a rookie in pool care having owned my pool for a couple of months last summer and this summer. The question I have is 48 to 72 oz of liquid chlorine per day normal to maintain a 4ppm? My cya went high so I stopped using chlorine tabs. My readings are: total chlorine 4, free chlorine 3, ph 7.2, alkalinity 120, and CYA is between 50 and 100. This is my first post so please forgive for any errors.
    Smithy4
    18 ft round above ground pool
    7600 gal

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Having to use 48 to 72 oz. of liquid chlorine a day

Smithy, welcome to TFP

How are you testing your water... which kit? Does it include a FAS-DPD powder test for FC and CC? That is the most important test to have in our opinion. You can get a good kit from TFTestkits.net Either the Taylor's K-2006 or the TF-100. They don't give you a "range" answer.. they give you an exact number. Based on drop tests not color matching. MUCH better than "Guess-Strips"

Read this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You know your CYA is high, yet you can't tell how high? So you don't know how much FC you need each day, right? Read this: FC/CYA Chart

The test results you list show 1ppm CC, which means something is growing in your water chewing up that chlorine. How's your water look? I would suggest that after you get a good test kit you perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) which can tell you if you're losing chlorine to algae or something.
    Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

We'll help you have a clean, sanitary pool you can enjoy. The faster we start this, the better.

Again, Welcome

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Having to use 48 to 72 oz. of liquid chlorine a day

Thanks and yes I'm using test strips. Thanks for the recommendation on test kits
    Smithy4
    18 ft round above ground pool
    7600 gal