We have had a bunch of issues with our pool this year including a hole in the liner, skimmer valve leak and a faulty limiter in the swg. The latest are our heater and pump.
Our heater was working fine when we tested on opening. When we used it for the first time it ignited fine and seemed to be heating ok for a while. Later in the day I noticed the water was cool and when I checked the heater it was no longer running. The pilot was on however.
Here's what I have done thus far:
- Jumped the TH/PP-TH terminals. Doing so will ignite the heater.
- Got 330 mv with these terminals (no jumper cable attached). I don't have much experience with a multimeter so hopefully I did it correctly. This seems low from what I've read but I don't know what is normal for this heater.
- Tested the pressure switch for continuity and it has it.
- Tested another part that has two white wires. Can't tell from manual what its called - possibly high limit switch or fusible link. It had continuity.
- Switched filter to recirculate to test if it was a low pressure issue. This made no difference. I backwashed the day before the problem started and my psi reading is normal.
What are my next steps?
Also, this may be an unrelated issue, but my pump shuts down after about 5-10 minutes on high. I have it running on low 24/7 with no problems. This started when I had a skimmer valve air leak that was causing the pump to lose prime. A few times the pump got dry and very hot before I noticed the problem. I suspect that may have damaged the pump. The valve was fixed but this pump problem remains. I don't think its related to the heater issue but am mentioning it just in case. Fortunately it runs long enough that I can run tests on the heater (eg jumping terminals).