Heads up, Pentair Intelliflo 2VST doesn't talk to Solartouch controllers

flipr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2015
Punta Gorda, FL (SW FL)
I just bought VS pump the Intelliflo 2 vst, to match up in my system. Everything I read says it can talk to Solartouch with communications cable (included with pump). Seems not quite true, my Solartouch is only 10 months old, but apparently the 2VST is running different software than the Intelliflo series of pumps, and as such requires a software/firmware upgrade.
Evidently v2.2 fixes the issues, and my controller is only v2. Took several hours and several calls to Pentair support by installer to confirm issue.

High 5 to Pentair for owning up to the issue, and promising to send out a tech in the next day or two to 'flash' my solartouch controller.:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Will update with final results.

Thanks! That is good to know. The Intelliflo2 is the new model of Intelliflo that replaces the "good old" original 011018 that everyone knows and loves. It has been out maybe 6 to 9 months I guess. Best I can tell it is exactly the same except adds a rotatable control pad. And non-backwards compatible firmware! :) Now to see if it works with Easytouch and Intellitouch.

High 5 to Pentair for owning up to the issue, and promising to send out a tech in the next day or two to 'flash' my solartouch controller.:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Pentair came out today, and had 'trouble' flashing the solartouch, so they are sending a new controller board at no cost to dealer. They are farther than they were, solartouch in demand ramps up speed of pump, but evidently it never shuts off when solartouch turns off solar need.

Another day of 'wait and see', but good customer service so far!

Now to see if it works with Easytouch and Intellitouch.

I have installed them on Easytouch systems that were designed to run the original VS-3050 with no issues other than limited functionality. Can only program 4 speeds and not feature circuits for different speeds. Must use aux circuits for different speeds.

Have not done any on Intellitouch. Flashing those things seems to work about .0000001% of the time though.

FINAL update, SUCCESS.

Pentair sent out a new controller board for Solartouch, but it didn't have new software, so no change.
Tech came out today and flashed new controller board, and it worked, they flashed to v2.2 software.

Per installer and Pentair, it is working correctly. I couldn't test as it was overcast when I got home.

Kudos to Pentair for taking control of issue, and to my installing dealer for sticking with it.

Thanks for the update.

Just in case someone from Pentair is reading this, please put a USB port on your devices and the file on your website so everyone can update their own firmware. Thanks!

Think that will work? :)

Port is in the pipeline, don't know if it will be for the end user as much as it will be for the tech though.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the software on the Pentair site, but then looking found it required to install with special adapter.
The way technology changes, user updateable products would be nice, but defeats the planned obsolescence side of the marketing program.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I may be having this same problem. Do you know where I find the version number of my Solartouch? I have a new Intelliflo 2 and it is not communicating with my Solartouch.

Thanks,
Josh

I just bought VS pump the Intelliflo 2 vst, to match up in my system. Everything I read says it can talk to Solartouch with communications cable (included with pump). Seems not quite true, my Solartouch is only 10 months old, but apparently the 2VST is running different software than the Intelliflo series of pumps, and as such requires a software/firmware upgrade.
Evidently v2.2 fixes the issues, and my controller is only v2. Took several hours and several calls to Pentair support by installer to confirm issue.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the software on the Pentair site, but then looking found it required to install with special adapter.
The way technology changes, user updateable products would be nice, but defeats the planned obsolescence side of the marketing program.

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I was able to update the Solartouch firmware myself. Pentair sells an expensive kit ($200+) that does it, but you can just buy the Pickit 3 from Amazon ($48).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4WFS8Y

Software is at MPLAB- X IDE | Microchip Technology Inc.
(use "MPLAB IPE" to do the programming).

Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.