Cloudy Pool... Bad paint?

May 27, 2009
Louisville, KY
Hey guys and gals!

Bought a house with an old-school, poured concrete in-ground pool last year. Apparently, the previous owners did us a "favor" by slapping a fresh coat of paint on it. Towards the end of the summer, we noticed our feet were picking up a nice aquamist color anytime we used the pool. Some areas (like the steps) even started to show the lighter sky blue color underneath.

After opening the pool up this year, we've replaced the filter sand (we had no idea how old it was, but it was a nice aquamist color as well), cleared out the algae, and got the chemicals balanced out... the water's blue, but still coudy. You can see the bottom at the 3' end, but it dissapears beyond that.

As of the last test, the numbers were:

FC - 4
pH - 7.4
TA - 110
CYA - 40

(I didn't write down TC and I don't have a kit that'll test for CH).

We've been through several rounds of a polymer-based clarifier and it doesn't seem to be making a dent in the cloudiness.

When cleaning out all the Crud the previous owners left, we tossed a can of "Olympic Rubber Based Aquamist #855" paint... from what I've found online, I believe it was Olympic's Paralon or Paralon 2 paint.

Since we know the paint isn't adhering well, is it possible that a bad paint job is causing the cloudiness? If so, are there any chemical miracles out there that can clear up the water and get us through this season? Will flock help in this case?

I know the ultimate solution is to drain, remove the bad paint, and repaint the pool... but I've got a wedding right around the corner so the time and money required are going to postpone that for another year...

Do I have any other options?

Thanks!

Josh

While it is quite possible that it is the paint, you should also keep in mind that it can take the filter a week or more to completely clear up the water after you kill all the algae. So it could just be the last of the algae that hasn't been all filtered out yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.