Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC Test with less chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

FC Test with less chemicals

Is it accurate to do an FC test using 1 scoop and 5ML water sample and counting each drop of R087 as 1 ppm FC? My FC is at about 13 and it seemed to work well. Thoughts?
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC Test with less chemicals

I use one rounded scoop of powder but have never tried the 5 ml of water. Have you done a back to back test with the 10ml of water and 5 ml to see if they "match"? I think the 10ml uses little enough regents I do not worry about it.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep in mind, any time you use less volume, the precision of the test is decreased.

From Pool School - FAS-DPD Chlorine Test
    The precision of the measurement is plus or minus one drop when up to 10 drops of titrant are used, or plus or minus 10% of the final reading, when more than 10 drops of titrant are used.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    Keep in mind, any time you use less volume, the precision of the test is decreased.

From Pool School - FAS-DPD Chlorine Test
    The precision of the measurement is plus or minus one drop when up to 10 drops of titrant are used, or plus or minus 10% of the final reading, when more than 10 drops of titrant are used.
    Right, so to illustrate, if you are using the 10 ml sample your error rate will be +/- 0.5 ppm up to 5 FC, 1 ppm at 10 FC, and 2 ppm at 20 FC. If you are using the 5 ml sample then your margin of error is double that. So a reading of 13 means your FC is between 10.5 and 15.5 (rounded).
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Right, so to illustrate, if you are using the 10 ml sample your error rate will be +/- 0.5 ppm up to 5 FC, 1 ppm at 10 FC, and 2 ppm at 20 FC. If you are using the 5 ml sample then your margin of error is double that. So a reading of 13 means your FC is between 10.5 and 15.5 (rounded).
    Maybe I am getting huge errors and that is my issue... doesn't seem to accurate at that rate... hmmm.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay thanks for the input. I have been using 1 round scoop of powder and 10ML water sample, but I tried it with 5Ml and got the same results, so that is why I posted the question. Seeing that the margin of error increases I will stick with the 10ML water sample. Thank you for all the responses.
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel