Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Milky water after shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Milky water after shocking

My pool of 13 yrs has been trouble free and always looked like bottled water ... But the last 2 shock treatments ( fast dissolve cal hypo 73% ) turned the clear water to a milky colored mess , taking 4 days to clear the last time.
    The only thing different than any other time is that a phosphate remover was added to eliminate the 1500 of Phosphate > could this remover be the issue ? I'm not a née i.e. But I am so confused ☹️
    I lower ph in hopes of clearing the solid milk color but did not have any effect on appearance
    12,500 ABG 1.5 hp 150 lb sand

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Milky water after shocking

I am not sure if Phosphate remover has ill effects when mixed with Cal Hypo. But straight Calcium Carbonate will tend to cause temporary cloudiness. Cal Hypo obviously contains much less Calcium and I doubt enough to cause the cloudiness for an extended period of time. How much did you add?

Also I don't think lowering your pH is the answer. How is the rest of you chemistry?
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! Please post a complete set of recent test results. That will help us figure out what is going on.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

FC 1.6
    TC 2.0
    PH 7.8 lowered now to 7.2
    Alk 100
    CYN 90
    12,500 ABG 1.5 hp 150 lb sand

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

What's your CH? Your FC is way too low for your CYA. You should lower CYA a good bit unless you have a SWG.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart