Retrofit bonding project

May 22, 2016
Tallahassee
I have a pool that is over 40yrs old and doesn't have any kind of bonding grid. I am entertaining the idea of redoing the concrete decking to get all the settling cracks as well as the bird feet that have been in the concrete for 40 yrs now :) . I am going to take the project on when I redo the tiling around the pool, having the pool replastered (which it is in desperate need of, there is a chance that it is the original plaster!), and replace the coping as well, as well as install a screen around the whole pool....

my idea for the concrete was to add between 1-2" to smooth out all the imperfections and iron out the settling cracks, and then thinset above that when I tile it (most like porcelain tile)....anyhoo, I thought about building a bonding grid into the concrete in a 3 feet circumference around the pool spaced 12" apart with 8 gauge bare copper wire and attaching it at four points to the pool....one I know will be a metal ladder that goes into the pool....the other 3 I haven't determined, suggestions welcome....

I have an enclosed pump room that I will bond the same wire to the pump and the power center for the SWG....

Any other thoughts or ideas on this project are welcome....right now it is in the planning phase, and probably would commence at the earliest when pool season is over ( maybe Oct - Dec) ....

Thanks,

Aaron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.