Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Retrofit bonding project

1. Back To Top    #1

Retrofit bonding project

I have a pool that is over 40yrs old and doesn't have any kind of bonding grid. I am entertaining the idea of redoing the concrete decking to get all the settling cracks as well as the bird feet that have been in the concrete for 40 yrs now . I am going to take the project on when I redo the tiling around the pool, having the pool replastered (which it is in desperate need of, there is a chance that it is the original plaster!), and replace the coping as well, as well as install a screen around the whole pool....

my idea for the concrete was to add between 1-2" to smooth out all the imperfections and iron out the settling cracks, and then thinset above that when I tile it (most like porcelain tile)....anyhoo, I thought about building a bonding grid into the concrete in a 3 feet circumference around the pool spaced 12" apart with 8 gauge bare copper wire and attaching it at four points to the I know will be a metal ladder that goes into the pool....the other 3 I haven't determined, suggestions welcome....

I have an enclosed pump room that I will bond the same wire to the pump and the power center for the SWG....

Any other thoughts or ideas on this project are welcome....right now it is in the planning phase, and probably would commence at the earliest when pool season is over ( maybe Oct - Dec) ....

20k Gunite 16' x 32' , Hayward c7030 700 sq ft cartridge filter. Pentair Superflo 1hp 2sp pump, Intellichlor IC40 w/ Power Center SWG, Hayward GL-235 Solar Controller, (2) Digital GE Timers.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Retrofit bonding project

There are many bonding threads and it is not the easiest thing to wrap your mind around but here is a new thread we did and it made sense to me

The pool is different but the concept is exactly the same..

bonding, ground, electrical knowledge needed
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Mesa, Az

Re: Retrofit bonding project

You'd be better off with an epoxy aggregate topping instead of concrete/thinset/tile. I'd have any low spots mud-jacked prior to topping.