Replacing my old Pentair single speed with a Hayward SP2302VSP - question about timer

Jul 7, 2016
CA
Hi all!

I've recently moved my pool equipment to the other side of the yard. So far I haven't had to call in a professional to help, but that may change.

When we hooked everything back up to the new panel, everything had juice, but the motor gave a whimper and refused to move. It's about 15-20 years old, and we're going to take it a part, but I think we need a new one, and I'm looking at the SP2302VSP. It's a ~30,000 gallon pool.

Here are some rough pictures of the new setup:

2016-06-28_015618027_7F00E_iOS.jpgpanel.jpg

Questions:

1. In general, are there any compatibility worries with my whole system being Pentair, and the pump being Hayward?
2. Currently we're using a 2 timers; one timer for the pool sweep, and one timer that controls both the motor and the Pentair Intellichlor. What becomes of this timer? Is it still needed? How tricky will the re-wiring be?

Thanks much!

There's no reason you cant use the Hayward pump it will work fine in your system, but the Pentair Superflo VS 342001 is the direct fit replacement for the pump you have and is generally a lil bit cheaper than the Hayward pump. If you do go with a VS pump both the Hayward and Pentair use an onboard electronic timer and should be wired directly to a breaker and not an external timer. Otherwise that's a nice clean project you got going on nice work.

:goodpost:

Brand only matters when you want to install automation, then you want everything that plugs into the automation to be the same brand. My VS pump is wired to the breaker and uses the onboard timer to control pump speed and run time. My Intellichlor SWG is wired to a timeclock to turn it off and on. I have to check periodically to make sure the time is the same on pump and timer. And since I run my pump a lot more than my SWG I always make sure my SWG run time is well inside my pump run time just to be extra safe.

You do not want to have your SWG on when the pump is off it can explode. Not kidding, it happens.

Thank you CJ and pooldv for the replies!

There's no reason you cant use the Hayward pump it will work fine in your system, but the Pentair Superflo VS 342001 is the direct fit replacement for the pump you have and is generally a lil bit cheaper than the Hayward pump. If you do go with a VS pump both the Hayward and Pentair use an onboard electronic timer and should be wired directly to a breaker and not an external timer. Otherwise that's a nice clean project you got going on nice work.

Cool. Strangely, this unit was cheaper and shipped faster on Amazon than the Pentair. I didn't realize that the Pentair was a `direct fit` with my old unit, so thanks! I may have to consider that and possibly return this Hayward (which I ordered) if it looks like too much of a project to get to fit :scratch:

:goodpost:

Brand only matters when you want to install automation, then you want everything that plugs into the automation to be the same brand. My VS pump is wired to the breaker and uses the onboard timer to control pump speed and run time. My Intellichlor SWG is wired to a timeclock to turn it off and on. I have to check periodically to make sure the time is the same on pump and timer. And since I run my pump a lot more than my SWG I always make sure my SWG run time is well inside my pump run time just to be extra safe.

You do not want to have your SWG on when the pump is off it can explode. Not kidding, it happens.

Great, so it looks like the SWG will still be connected to the timeclock, and I have to make sure that it's only on when the pump is on. Great to know!

There's no reason to return the Hayward pump if you've already got it on the way, you should be perfectly happy. The two pumps are almost identical, and to be honest the only reason I bought the Pentair was that I found it for like 70 dollars cheaper than the Hayward.

Hi all!

Questions:

1. In general, are there any compatibility worries with my whole system being Pentair, and the pump being Hayward?
2. Currently we're using a 2 timers; one timer for the pool sweep, and one timer that controls both the motor and the Pentair Intellichlor. What becomes of this timer? Is it still needed? How tricky will the re-wiring be?

Thanks much!

1. No compatibility issues as previously mentioned unless you are going to automate the system with a controller, but using the same manufacturer and the same pump type makes the install A LOT easier since you can just drop a new one in vs having to redo the plumbing to the pump.

2. I would still use your old timer to control when the VSP kicks on and off, and then use your onboard timer on the pump to control what speeds you want and for how many hours. Reason being is because you can use your timer to make sure your SWG comes on and off with it. Granted, the SWG has a flow switch that 'should' turn the SWG off if the pump isn't on, but the flow switches on the Intellichlor are notorious for going bad... Usually the problem is that they show 'no flow' when you actually have flow, but my flow switch did the opposite, meaning that it was showing 'flow' always whether there was actually flow or not, thus the SWG continued to try and make chlorine even when the pump wasn't on...and since I had the VSP wired to be 'permanently on' and was using just it's on board timer, guess what happened.....boom....the SWG blew a hole right through a 1.5" 90 on the return side because it was creating hydrogen instead of chlorine....lesson learned, don't trust the flow switch... You could also permanently wire the VSP and wire the SWG to the timer and just sync the times between the two, but one power outage could throw those off and then your back to relying on the flow switch again. My system is now wired with a couple of relays where no matter what happens, if the pump doesn't get power, the SWG doesn't get power, and then uses the flow switch as a fail safe should the pump go out and the SWG still get power... Could the pump go out AND the flow switch go bad at the same time? Yes. But the chances are extremely small of that happening...

Wire the pump to the line side of the timer and let the pump run from the onboard controller like it was designed. Keep the SWG on the load some of the timer and time it to turn on 30 minutes after the pump and off 30 minutes before the pump. This will help to avoid any issues cause by one of the timers being slow/fast or short power outages.

That is how my pump and swg are wired. The main thing I have to watch out for is power outages. The pump retains the time and my mechanical timer does NOT. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.